K-Planes battery fuse??

Notices

K-Planes battery fuse??

Old 04-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K-Planes battery fuse??

I'm installing K-Planes and the instructions say "a fuse that meets Coast Guard Standards must be installed between the battery and pump motor, inline with the red positive battery lead."

I haven't seen this fuse installed on two brands of boats I looked at. They only have the small yellow-cased 10 amp fuse in the wiring harness that goes to the tab switches. What gives?

Family & Performance Boating (April 2004) has a K-Plane installation article that says they installed 35 amp fuses, but doesn't show what kind of fuse holder or fuse.

Powerboat Magazine (Feb. 2003) has a K-Plane installation article that says or shows nothing about this fuse. They specifically say "per U.S. Coast Guard regulations, we used one cushion clamp every 12 inches", then skips the "Coast Guard Standard" fuse!

So, does anybody have a fuse between the pump and battery? If so, what type of fuseholder, and what amperage fuse.

West Marine carries a nice Blue Sea Systems 30-80 amp "Maxi Fuse Block" fuseholder that looks like just the ticket.

Last edited by Escape Velocity; 04-18-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 PM
laketahoe

Is the trim pump prestolite or oildyne pump with a plastic reservoir? mercuiser use a50 amp fuse in the wire harness assembly p#84-79147a3 from the battery /power supply to the solenoid on pump plus uses the fuse from the control at the helm

Old 04-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laketahoe - thanks so much for the research.

I won't be able to look at the pump until this weekend, and I can't see a manufacturers label in the picture of the pump in the installation instructions. I believe it's Oildyne, and it has the translucent white plastic reservoir.

50 amp fuses are available for the Blue Sea Systems fuse block. Is there a web site where I could look at the wiring harness part number you referenced?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:19 PM
laketahoe

TRY MERCURY MARINE PARTS CATALOG #90-76022
PAGE #28/29

IT'S THE SAME PUMP & WIRE OFF TRIM CYLINDERS FOR TRIM.