Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
l29 vortec questions >

l29 vortec questions

Notices

l29 vortec questions

Old 04-19-2004, 10:26 AM
stevewix

Default l29 vortec questions

ok, discovered that what i was told to be a 454/330 was a L29 vortec. since this changes everything,

1. what are the stock crank, rods, and pistons made of and how much horsepower/rpm will they take?

2. what is the compression ratio?

3. recognizing the gen VI non-adjustable valvetrain, whose roller rockers should i run?

4. i have a set of 1.8 ratio harland sharp roller rockers, can the stock valvesprings handle the extra lift and ramp speed?

5. i want to swap off the efi unit that soots my transom for a carb setup, probably a vac. secondary 750 sea demon; whose intake should i buy that will line up with the vortec heads?

6. on the subject of ignition, i was thinking MSD pro billet marine distributor and 7ml-2 ICB, ideas?

7. do i need a bigger oil cooler?

8. considering the heads will be cleaned up and 2.19/1.88 valves will be installed, what cam should i run with all of this?

9. who makes an economical exhaust header setup that flows good?

10. who should i buy this stuff from? i was going to buy it from jegs but if there is someone cheaper i would entertain that idea.

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance to those of you who help me out on my quest for a mean boat!

Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 AM
stevewix

also, since the roller 454 mag cam is so close lift-wise to the l29 cam, could i re-use my valve springs?

Old 04-19-2004, 11:19 AM
stevewix

also, what size guide plates does this engine have, if any? 5/16"; 3/8"?

Old 04-24-2004, 09:23 PM
stevewix

ok, this list is too damn long lol!

i've done my homework, and i've found all but a few.

2. 8:1 compression

3. crane energizer, comp stainless steel, gold race, etc. not going to take much for the wimpy spring pressures of a marine motor.

4. screw the 1.8s, i.m going to cam it this winter.

6. not sure if i'm going to pull the heads, but if i do i'll clean them up.

BIG IMPORTANT QUESTION NOW! what does the bottom end consist of?! this is the kicker for the whole project if anyone has the answer, you can pick my brain about any land-bound gasoline or diesel engine anytime! promise! lol.

also, is the "old pushrods with new rocker arms" issue of wear patterns really that big of a deal? i read that it was and i'm having trouble believing that.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a long list.!

1st of all, lets just ask you this. What are you trying to accomplish?, then maybe we can help you. The stock motor will run for 400-500 hours trouble free with reasonable power.......

clue us in to what you are doin.....
Old 04-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o yeah....... bottom end

4-bolt mains
cast crank
cast pistons
small rod bolt cast rods.

good to 425-450hp if rpm's are kept under 5K
Old 04-25-2004, 11:50 AM
stevewix

my goal is to have a boat the will make no more than 500hp, rpm is really not as important as it's cousin, durability lol. i've got a stock bravo 1 drive that i'd rather not blow all over the lake lol

here are my main desires for this boat.

1. gain in acceleration, and time to plane

2. a more radical idle that will turn heads on the river, or loto, wherever.

3. something that i can call my own creation, i'm almost positive that the cast components will not work, besides i've got enough dimple rods and trw pistons to choke an elephant.

in my line of business (drag motors) the trw pistons are considered ashtrays. it seems as if they are more widely used in the marine world.

thanks for the info,

PS- shafiroff.com and ohiocrank.com have some of the best, and cheapest rotating assemblies around for those of you who are looking.