Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
internal exhaust flappers...replacement ? >

internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?

Notices

internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?

Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?

I have a 1996 2102 VIP Victory bowrider, that has a 350 mag w/thru hull exhaust. It has the type of exhaust that is below the water when at an idle, and is more succeptable to water locking. I looked into the exhaust tips, (which have rubber flappers externally), and I could see that one of the flapper halves, was missing. It is like a metal rod welded to the inside of the exhaust tip, and then there are tow flappers that hinge off of it. Do the tips need to be removed to get new tips put in? I have it at a mechanics right now, and he wanted to take the tips out,(removing the caulk etc, carefully) so that he could have them welded. Does this sound logical, or is he just trying to get around hauling the boat to a welder? I have no reason to question him on this, as he has worked on every aspect of building boats from scratch etc..., but I thought that maybe it was something that could save some labor. Also, the outer rubber flappers don't close all of the way anymore. They hinge on the top, and there is about a 3/4" gap at the bottom when the boat isn't running. I sit at the beach for extended periods, where water could be slamming into the transom from bigger boats, like you guys have. Sorry so long...

J.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If they are straight cut then just get the Salbury flappers that clamp onto the outside of the tip.
The internal ones will just burn off again.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Registered

You can put Non Burn Internal flappers in your pipes. Eddie Marine offers them Part #100-32. These are for 4" pipes only. You should remove your pipes to do it right.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Registered

I just talked to my mechanic this morining, and he said that this boat is bad for having water getting into the engine because of the heigth (lack of) of the risers and the low placement of the tips. The tips are Mercruiser Quicksilver tips that he said look like they are cast, and wouldn't hold up to a weld very good. They used to try that when they made Profile offshore boats, and they wouldn't hold. He mentioned the non-burn internal flappers, but they probably have to be welded in. He also mentioned that Eddie Marine used to carry a brass type tap in, internal flapper system, but couldn't find them anymore. I think they were a brass tube with rubber flappers. Hopefully someone has some more suggestions. I am just nervous about running the boat without the internal flappers being complete. Thanks, Justin
Old 04-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin, I have the same problem as you with the bad internal flappers and have looked into different soultions. I've decided to simply put the external salsbury flappers on. I can get away with that as my tips are about 4 inches above the water line and my exhaust has a good upward pitch to the risers. I also have the Y pipe and internal switchables that will block a rush of water.

There's a couple of non burn {claimed} flappers on the market. But like Active Mike says, you will probably need to remove your tips to do the job right. If you're going to remove the tips, you might think about replacing the existing cast tips with new SS ones that have the non burn flappers already in place. I think Rex marine sells them for around $125.00 or so. And I believe the flaps in the Rex tips are replaceable if the need arises. Just be sure to measure the outside diameter and length for replacement tips before ordering. Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck !!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where do you guys get the salsbury tips from?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Registered

You can get the salisbury flappers at most marine suppliers like Boat USA & West Marine. I just put in the Eddie Marine no-burn style that needed to be welded in. pretty straight-forward.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered

I am working on getting a set of new Stainless Marine tips with the stainless internal flappers and rubber edges. I have to have the internal because of the water level issue. I found a new set for $140 w/ lifetime warrenty. I am also trying to get a set of used ones from a guy if he calls me back soon enough. I need to get this done before the weekend after this one. Thanks for the info guys. Justin
Old 04-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Registered

I have the same problem. Where did you find them at that price?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Registered

Just bought a set from rex $100. lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: internal exhaust flappers...replacement ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.