Bravo one Gimbal Bearing >

Bravo one Gimbal Bearing

Notices

Bravo one Gimbal Bearing

Old 04-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Bankshot242LS

Default Bravo one Gimbal Bearing

Bravo one Gimbal Bearing

I need some advice, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. before I start this work. I had my Formula (242LS) out most of the weekend. On lake Mich. And my drive is making noise( bravo 1) when I turn to the left or the right but goes away when straight. So I think it is the Gimbel bearing. I pulled the drive and the u joints looked good and where replaced by the other owner. But on the yoke where the o rings go there is wear to the point that it looks like there is copper under the chrome. And in the bearing itself inside has colored marks in lines like the shaft has to much clearance. Is there anything else I should replace when I change the bearing or any tricks on doing this. Any advice would be great as I only did this once on a smaller boat along time ago.
Thanks
Mike

Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yoke

You definitely need to check the engine alignment. Sounds like the input shaft on the yoke is not going all the way up into the engine coupler. Also a quick check on the gimbal bearing would be to roll it by hand. If it rolls smoothly, it is more than likely OK. With the color I would replace it. Make sure you like up the grease fitting correctly on the new bearing. A gimbal bearing normally makes noise when straight and gets quite while turning due to the loading on one side of the drive shaft. Also you need to measure the diameter on the shaft for wear. You will need to replace it if it is worn too much.

Good Luck
Old 04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Bankshot242LS

Question gimbal bearing check

Yes when I turn it by hand it rolls smooth and there is no side play or end play. And the splines on the yoke look good with no shine on the teeth. But were the o seals go it looks real worn but just don't know if this is the cause.

Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise

You said the universals appeared to be replaced. They make noise on side loading. I would have to check them for myself. Also Don't forget to check the alignment. The o Rings can be torn from never being replaced and getting cut up from taking the drive on and off. Buy a new gasket set and change them. The universals should not have any play at the connections. I little play will cause a lot of noise.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Yoke

Originally posted by Linster
Sounds like the input shaft on the yoke is not going all the way up into the engine coupler.
Good Luck
If the drive goes on all the way, the yoke has to go in all the way into the coupler. No partial ingagement possible.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Bankshot242LS

Default Re: noise

The ujoints have no play in them at all. And the o rings are not torn but are flat. How much clearance should be between the yoke and the inside of the bearing? If the o rings are flat or bad could this cause a light to med. rattle when turning to the left or right? And trimming up will make it louder on turns By the way this noise is when in drive @1000 rpm

Old 05-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Bankshot242LS

Wink Update

Just got back from installing and testing the boat. I checked the engine alignment. which was fine. And replaced the (Gimbal Bearing only!!! to save money) and results were perfect, nice and quiet in turns, and under heavy load turns The old bearing rolled smooth and had very little side play. So I guess it don't take much with a 4200 pound boat with only 360 total time on it. With no hard running, sometimes parts just go bad. Just figured let everyone know.

The following users liked this post:
JanTore (07-27-2023)