Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
drive reservoir overflowing >

drive reservoir overflowing

Notices

drive reservoir overflowing

Old 04-27-2004, 02:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't build up pressure with a hole in the cap I think!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:00 AM
Registered

Herewith I attach a picture of the top cap and reservoir. As you can see there is a hole in the top cap. Is there maybe some kind of gasket in front of the hole of the top cap? I am from The Netherlands so my technical English is not so good.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Registered

Attaching the picture doesn't work so please use this link

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wampie/top%20cap-2.jpg

just past and copy in your browser and you will be redirected to The Netherlands!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a buddy with the same cap and compare. The cap has a sealing surface of some sort. The holes will let pressure out at a pre-determined point. Look for the rubber seal. The cap needs to fit snug. When it is on right it will be a bear to get off by hand.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Registered

Thanks bad dog I will try to go on a test drive today with the cap of a friend. The hole of my cap is completly open no seailing or so. air can come in and out without any obstruction.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:33 AM
Registered

Sounds like someone lost the sealing gasket. Have you owned this boat prior to the problem starting? Just be aware that if the cap is working properly you are building excess heat. Not sure but I think I heard that the cap is designed to hold 7 PSI.

I had an XZ that was blowing oil out the reservoir. Turned out that a vertical shaft bearing was going out and building heat. Keep an eye on the condition and smell of the lube. Let us know how it turns out and how the jack works out. The B-3 does run hot compared to other Bravos.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:39 AM
Registered

So there supposed to be a sealing for the hole in the cap ?

I bought the boat in march and let it serviced at full tilt marine and then let it transport to the netherlands. The former owner Mike Shaak didn't had any problems with the boat. He traded it in at full tilt and i found him on the crownline forum.

Any help is welcome
Old 04-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Registered

Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am going from memory but cap is gasketed in some fashion. Perhaps on the bottle itself? If you left the cap off or loose it will puke all over the place. A properly sealed cap will actually blow off if the drive gets hot enough (makes a real mess of the hatch). Just inspect a second cap and bottle very closely. If all is OK then you are building heat. Anyone have a cap and bottle handy? When was the jack installed? Might be related.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:09 AM
Registered

What is a jack?

I do a new testdrive with another cap this afternoon and let you know !

Thanks was scared I had big problems with the sterndrive. It only has 130 hours in 2 years the last year it stood in the stock of full tilt marine
Old 04-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the original poster of this thread. The stern jack is installed between the Gimbel housing and the drive. The gear lube passes through in a channel which I doubt creates any heat, but I will check. I ran my rig in the driveway last night and I doubt that I had enough time to generate any heat and I certainly had no load.

Quick Reply: drive reservoir overflowing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.