OT - 3/4Ton Avalanche lifter noise >

OT - 3/4Ton Avalanche lifter noise

Notices

OT - 3/4Ton Avalanche lifter noise

Old 04-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - 3/4Ton Avalanche lifter noise

Folks. Never thought of it all that much, but on the 8.1L GM motors, should I be hearing the clickity-clack of lifter noise when the motor is cold?

Bob
Old 04-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Registered

I know it is very common on their smaller V8. 366 or something like it.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered

I've got an '04 8.1 2500 AV and I hear a little "lifter" ticking too a little right after start up. Seems common, as I have mentioned it to a couple of buddy's that have the same 8.1 Vortec in their Sub's or Silverado's and they have the same symptoms.

I just changed my oil/filter for the first time @ 4000 miles last weekend and I cut the filter open. No unusual metal particles or anything, so I'm not worried.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Registered

This topic has been discussed to death on the truck forums. I believe that GM dismisses it as "normal" and does not cause extended damage. I have heard of some people complaining and worrying about damage after warranty is up. Suggestions were to contact regional service manager....many were getting extended warranty for free. I'll be checking into this as well. I believe that the 6.0L has the problem the worst.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I have an early 5.3 that does it ferociously when cold.

Suposed to be piston slap.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My 2001 8.1 rattles a lot at start up also, no matter what the outside temp. It takes a little longer to go away when its real cold out. I asked the dealership about it and they said all 8.1's do it. They said it was because of the hyperutectic pistons. They have more clearance due to more expansion when they heat up. Said it doesn't cause any problems. I'm at 50k with no issues.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the inputs. (Kinda sad these things sound like a diesel when they start cold).

Bob
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Registered

I had someone stop me a few months ago and ask me when they started offering a diesel in the Avalanche. That's my only gripe with the truck.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Griff
My 2001 8.1 rattles a lot at start up also, no matter what the outside temp. It takes a little longer to go away when its real cold out. I asked the dealership about it and they said all 8.1's do it. They said it was because of the hyperutectic pistons. They have more clearance due to more expansion when they heat up. Said it doesn't cause any problems. I'm at 50k with no issues.
My '99 454 does the same thing. After many, many non-satisfying trips to the dealer with no resolution whatsoever, I finally found out through a magazine article that the noise is due to excessive rod bearing clearances.

GM gave me every excuse from carbon buildup on the pistons to the wrong oil filter to piston slap to whatever else spewed from their back-peddling mouths

I put an automotive stethescope on the engine and sure enough, the noise is way down in the crank case. The noise gets less the higher up the motor you go.

According to the magazine article, (don't recall which one), GM opened the rod clearances for some reason, expansion after heat up, whatever. Just drives me nuts. They've been making 454s since what, 1969? And I've owned at least 10 over those years. Never a problem. All the sudden they have to start friggin' whit chit!!

Makes me wanna go buy a focking Ford
Old 04-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Registered

Question then. Do any of the HP3 marine engines do the same?

Its kinda hard for me to believe FOR ANY REASON, and especially in 2004, that any engine makes a noise. Heck back in the late 60's best you got was a solid lifter noise at best in the HP motors. (same goes with that lame answer they give on oil usage). I think we go through about 1qt of 15w50 M1 between oil changes.

Dont care what they say, but you can't explain to me that any noise in the engine is OK. There must be some harm that comes from it.

Quick Reply: OT - 3/4Ton Avalanche lifter noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.