head gasket help >

head gasket help

Notices

head gasket help

Old 04-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket help

was tearing my 2000 hp 500s with 265 hours down to replace the valve springs when i took the exhaust off i noticed that both back corners of the heads on the exhaust side of the heads have a gap between the head and the block you can see the head gasket down the side off the head till it gets to the rear corners is the gasket made that it does not stick out in the rear corners it looks like it may cut in at the rear, i dont see any trail of water going down over but was concrened about the gap and rust in the gap.

question is does any body know if the gasket is made that way. and what is the typical hours to change head gaskets on a hp500 that was only in the salt a couple times mostly fresh water. and if so what is a good gasket to get and where and also the intake gasket as well.

thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Yep, the gasket is made that way.

Here's a pic to ease your mind.
Attached Thumbnails head gasket help-mvc-011s.jpg  
Old 04-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

As far as rust in the gap, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine had a little surface rust there before I painted the edge.
I just layed the gasket back on for the pic.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Registered

griff thanks for the answer i was hoping for.

thanks again 32 thunder rick
Old 04-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

If you have never done this before, then I suggest you ask for someones help. All big blocks have the same criteria so if you never noticed this is because you have never done this type of work to the motor. I`m not trying to bust your chops here, just trying to elimate you from not doing something correct when putting it back together. Good luck with your project
Old 04-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I couldn't have said it better than MYPATERA28!
If you want to do this project yourself, it shouldn't be all by yourself! Even if some experienced people on this board were willing to walk you through it "step by step", the potential for some very costly mistakes is very high!

That being said, maybe we could have a few of us that have experience, give you some detailed instructions on each step. I would be willing to particapate, kind of like an online project!
You would have to be willing to be "VERY" patient, and to follow the agreed upon procedure to the smallest and last detail!
The first thing that I would suggest is once you have the heads off, is to bring them to a "Qualified" machine shop and have the heads inspected, boiled, magnafluxed, and a good three angle valve job done. Maybe have them do a little valve pocket clean up as well. Have the shop set the springs up to the proper height and pressure. This is a critical step, don't just slap in the springs!!! Once that has been done than we could walk you through putting the heads back on.

Last edited by TomR; 04-27-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Registered

thanks for the offer but i am in the automotive business for 16 years built lots of motors for drag racing and so on but mostly fords just wasent sure about the head gasket on the 502 but griff answerd my question. now im just doing the springs.

thanks again