Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3 >

No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Notices

No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Old 05-05-2004, 06:39 PM
merkruzer

Ive primed several motors with a drill and distributor and almost never got oil to all the rockers.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What weight oil are you trying to push? 10-40?... or straight 50 weight?.........Crane's hydraulic roller lifters are designed to pump 10-40 oil at 200 degrees... not thicker,,, nor cooler... I got that information straight from the Crane tech department.!Their tech told me that if you try pushing thicker or cooler oil than that ... you won't get enough flow to the upper end.....

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 05-05-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
What weight oil are you trying to push? 10-40?... or straight 50 weight?.........Crane's hydraulic roller lifters are designed to pump 10-40 oil at 200 degrees... not thicker,,, nor cooler... I got that information straight from the Crane tech department.!Their tech told me that if you try pushing thicker or cooler oil than that ... you won't get enough flow to the upper end.....
Why do you care if you get oil to the top end during priming? Use assembly lube on all valve contact points and dump 1/2qt oil across each side of the valve train just before installing covers and all will be fine. I use 10w-30 for priming.

BT
Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to be sure everything is alright!! I have a bunch of dough in these motors and don't want to have to pull them again.... That said- I put a pressure gauge on it tonight and get 80# cold ( 50w oil). This will decrease as heat builds I'm sire to about 60#.

We have decided to go ahead an start it to see what happens. I'm pretty sure all is well, but caution never hurts!! They are now fully reassembled and waiting to start... all plumbed for fuel & water, mufflers/tailpipes and all ready to go.... maybe tomorrow evening we will do it. I have to go to the paint shop tomorrow also to check on the boat again ( 200 mile round trip).

Cross your fingers!! Thanks for all the interest, I guess I have nothing to worry about after all. Tomorrow will tell all.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Registered

Originally posted by blue thunder
Why do you care if you get oil to the top end during priming? Use assembly lube on all valve contact points and dump 1/2qt oil across each side of the valve train just before installing covers and all will be fine. I use 10w-30 for priming.

BT
My point exactly... you don't get oil up the push rods until the engine starts pumping the lifters.......
Old 05-06-2004, 12:20 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh, didn't I mention the general census in post #3?

Give it some fuel and a spark!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
Did you try turning the motor over a bit to allow the oil hole in the lifters align in the lifter bore oil passage?

I always thought the motor had to be running to get the oil to pass thru the lifters plungers and up the pushrods. I never had oil feed the rockers just by priming.
Damn... you are the "Man"... we just wanted to chime in our own .02....... Except the holes in the lifters are situated in a depressed area that always get oil..... They never go "out of alignment"..
Old 05-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
Damn... you are the "Man"... we just wanted to chime in our own .02....... Except the holes in the lifters are situated in a depressed area that always get oil..... They never go "out of alignment"..
So when the lifters are on the nose of the cam, the oil feed hole is still in the block oil passage?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For Reed Jenson & US1 Fountain:

I don't mean to be negative here, but....

Reed: "My point exactly... you don't get oil up the push rods until the engine starts pumping the lifters......."

US1 Fountain: "I always thought the motor had to be running to get the oil to pass thru the lifters plungers and up the pushrods. I never had oil feed the rockers just by priming."

So, I guess you guys can explain then WHY I had 15 cylinders (30 rockers!) oiling thru the rockers like crazy and one cylinder that didn't-
since the rockers never oil while priming?????

It appears that is not always true.
Anyway, it a moot point now. We fired them tonight. Had good oil feed to the #1 rockers. What a comfort!! The motors are killer sounding even with the mufflers on. I had boat guys coming over that live 3/4 mile or more away!! It looks like now, I just have to get the Sonic out of the paint shop ( see "Too Old's Sonic Project" in Sonic section for pictures.) Maybe in a week or two. They are killin' me!! I'm ready to go!! At least I still have the Formula to back me up.

Thanks for the interest, replies & suggestions!!

Last edited by blown formula; 05-06-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:42 PM
Registered

Ok... here is a disassemble crane hydraulic roller lifter... the oil passes from the pump to the oil passage.. from the oil passage it passes to the depressed area of the lifter... from there it passes into the small oil hole... from there it enters the inside of the lifter... where it must pass through the check ball... from the hollow area of the part that holds the check ball, the oil must pass through those four small slots... from the slots it passes up the clearance between the slotted part to a hole in the side of the slotted part... from there it goes inside a cross drilled hole that connects to the push rod... ok? So... 50 weight oil has a hard time passing through these tiny clearances... the oil is pushed up the rod when the small plunger with the check ball moves up and down.... ps... there is a spring under the small part with the check ball...

Quick Reply: No oil to #1 rockers & little to #3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.