Originally posted by kevinr
Amsoil water proof sythetic greese #GRW 14
Another vote for Amsoil!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:21 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

vonwolske,
Why not high temp grease? Seems like the trailer brakes will put alot of heat into the hub with the bearings and the high temp grease is needed. Please clarify.

Rick
Old 05-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RoyalPurple. BOB
Old 05-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Registered

rv I have the same question about hy temp grease. My brakes heat the grease to where it will run out on to the wheels even before I dunk the trailer.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told to use CRC's Marine grease. It is a turquoise color. My friends have used it for years and just told me about it. They make long trips to Ozarks and no more problems with wheel bearings.

I switched, we'll see how it works.

Dick
Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by vonwolske
Mystic JT-6 grease, not high temp, but the regular stuff is the best with all the boat and trailer people I know.
Used it at work also. Had big fan bearings that would go out every 6 months. Swithed to Mystic JT-6 and same bearings last for several years.
Yes, there is a difference in greases. High temp is not necessary.
I second that!

I am in the bearing business for thirty years now and have sold Mystic JT-6 by Cato Oil Company for twenty years. I have never had a customer that tried it to not come back and buy more.

Personally I tried SuperLube Synthetic for a year and it washed out BAD. Just rebuilt all the hubs on the triple Myco and they have Mystic in them and that is what is in the grease gun I carry.

Like said above, buy the green tube, not the red. Red is high temp for 200 to 450 degrees and it will not work well in a low temp application like wheel bearings.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally posted by rv
vonwolske,
Why not high temp grease? Seems like the trailer brakes will put alot of heat into the hub with the bearings and the high temp grease is needed. Please clarify.

Rick
I will jump in here if that is okay.

Most people think that if standard is good, then High Temp must be BETTER!

Not the case. They are the same basic grease except they have additives that allow them to lubricate at different temperature ranges.

If you are trailering in the winter say 40 degrees outside, then your bearings are probably not running over 60 to 70 degrees tops. The high temp grease will be stiff and will not lubricate.

You should use a grease with a range of zero to 200 degrees and that should cover you for all extremes. I carry laser thermometer and at 100 degrees outside your trailer bearings will be under 130 degrees with proper lubrication. If they are higher you better change them fast before they fail.

We are in the industrial power transmission business and 90% of our bearings go into industrial applications from machinery to conveyors. Most bearings run between 120 to 160 degrees F. The only time you see them hotter is when the are exposed to heat like a boiler, oven or other heat source. Then you want a high temp grease. Over 450 degrees you usually have to go with a synthetic.

Hope this helps a little. I had a sawmill customer that would buy nothing but high temp grease. He was changing out more bearings, especially in the winter than any other sawmill in the area. We told him what his problem was and he did not believe us. Finally we gave him a $150.00 Type E pillow block no charge and a tube of JT6 grease and proved to him he was using the wrong lubrication. He is now a believer!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally posted by Mr Gadgets
I was told to use CRC's Marine grease. It is a turquoise color. My friends have used it for years and just told me about it. They make long trips to Ozarks and no more problems with wheel bearings.

I switched, we'll see how it works.

Dick
Hey Dick,

Hope you got your bearings okay!

We are also a CRC master distributor. They make really good products, however we do not sell their grease because we have had such good luck with the JT-6.

All greases, lubricants and oils are of pretty good quality these days. I always tell people that if they find something that they like and works in their application to stick with it.

Remind me and I'll throw in a tube of JT-6 with your next order.

Mark
Old 05-13-2004, 07:06 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dock Holiday,
I can understand your point about the bearing temperatures being below 200deg on a wheel without brakes. What about a wheel that does have brakes, doesn't the brakes cause those bearings to be above 200deg? I understand that when you are making a long trip and the brakes are not on that the temp would be below but what happens around town when you are braking alot. Doesn't the temp go up and exceed the rating of the grease?

Rick
Old 05-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered
VIP Member

www.militec.com A friend of mine in the military turned me on to this and it is the best grease I have used! They pack all of the amphibious landing craft wheels with it...IE saltwater and sand! I have a 38 on a triple axle eagle trailer and it stopped all of my problems, I have no more heat issues or bearing failure. It does not wash out and it has a metal conditioner it. It is as stringy as chewing gum. It is by far the best grease I have ever used now matter how much it cost...synthetic or not. This Co. could make a fortune if they marketed this stuff to the marine market. This grease is DA BOMB!!

Quick Reply: Best trailer wheel bearing grease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.