Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Purple, no problems.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rv
Dock Holiday,
I can understand your point about the bearing temperatures being below 200deg on a wheel without brakes. What about a wheel that does have brakes, doesn't the brakes cause those bearings to be above 200deg? I understand that when you are making a long trip and the brakes are not on that the temp would be below but what happens around town when you are braking alot. Doesn't the temp go up and exceed the rating of the grease?

Rick
rv,

I run disc brakes and have never seen a temperature even close to 200 degrees on my trailer on the hottest days. Drum brakes may have a different effect on them but it is hard for me to see where you would get temps that high.

Maybe someone else will come in on this with some additional information.

I do know that most High Temp greases do not give you the lubrication you need in the normal operating range.

Dock
Old 05-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Citgo JT-6 Multi-Purpose Grease

I found it on the Citgo website, but where is a easy place to buy a case?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Citgo JT-6 Multi-Purpose Grease

Originally posted by BenPerfected
I found it on the Citgo website, but where is a easy place to buy a case?
Here is a link I found online. I guess we sell it too cheap!

Mystik® JT-6® Multi-Purpose Grease

Our most water-resistant and water insoluble product, JT-6 works especially well where extended lubrication intervals are practical, highly loaded or shock loaded grease lubricated applications exist, and excellent rust protection is desired.

http://www.springboardsandmore.com/d...nt/p-PM111.asp

Call me if you want some, our everyday price is $2.55 per tube, there are 10 tubes per carton. We charge only the actual UPS charges with no handling charges and accept Visa, MasterCard and Amex.

Mark, Randall or Anthony
Allied Bearings & Supply
704-881-0031
Old 05-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Amsoil.
http://www.amsoil.com/products/gwr.html
Old 05-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mark!!
I did indeed get those bearings.Thanks!!, sorry I didnt let you know. Had a lift rented all week for drywall had to finish up and return it.. Some long days with drywall tiring nights.
I would love to try a tube of the Mystic!! I will try to remember on the next order for sure.. or maybe you could write a note??

I like to try anything that works for someone else... sounds like the Mystic fits.

Thanks!!
Dick
Old 05-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

I wrote a whole page on this and posted it. No show, so this is a test.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

This is a repeat of what I said to rv and Dock Holiday:
By the time your wheel bearings get to 200 degrees, they are well on their way to failure. Check axle nut setting by jacking tire off the ground and grabbing tire at top and bottom and wiggling it. Pull on top while pushing on bottom and should have about 1/8 inch wiggle at the tread. Too tight, and bearing gall. Make sure you over tighten the nut first and spin the wheel to seat the bearings in the hub, but then back off the nut for the wiggle test.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered

Continuing;
Old style grease like Lubriplate will wash out easily and has a low melting temp. It is ok for engine assembly. Mystic has a long slippery molecule. Rub a dab between your thumb and forefinger, you almost can't feel those fingerprint ridges. Squeeze really hard and keep rubbing. Try that with any other grease. Also, it is really hard to wash off with soap and water. Some may remember "Motor Honey" by Andy Grannetelli, this Mystic is just as slippery.
I don't like those fiber based greases, they may be ok for wooden wheels on Ox cart, but not for me.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Two of my boat buddies build and race boats. They swear by Mystic. Always use it on wheel hubs and even on jet ski guts. Won't wash out. Immiscible
It is the only thing we used on 15,000,000 sq ft of buildings where I was the lead engineer.
Mystic is cheap and readily available at car parts places (Auto Zone?) and farm supply stores.

Quick Reply: Best trailer wheel bearing grease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.