Fresh 572īs making ticking noice

Notices

Fresh 572īs making ticking noice

Old 05-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Fresh 572īs making ticking noice

I need some help !!
We just rebuild the 572īs in my Top Gun new bearings, hydraulic roller lifters, rings,heads totally rebuild etc. Today we fired the first engine and it sounds like the lifters are ticking, it is comming and going. We are in a cold climate and have used straight 40 oil. At idle the oil pressure is 75 psi, is it possible that there are too much pressure due to the thick oil so the lifters gets pumped up and the valves donīt close ? when they tick you can clearly hear the cylinders fireing through the pipes. We will try with 10-40 oil tomorrow but if I am on the right track please let me know. Oh yeah the oil cooling system donīt have a thermostat so the oil is always very cold.

Also is it possible to swap from hydraulic lifters to solid lifters with out changing anything else ?

Cigaretteman
Old 05-18-2004, 03:55 AM
Registered

Default Re: Fresh 572īs making ticking noice

ttt

OTE=Cigaretteman]I need some help !!
We just rebuild the 572īs in my Top Gun new bearings, hydraulic roller lifters, rings,heads totally rebuild etc. Today we fired the first engine and it sounds like the lifters are ticking, it is comming and going. We are in a cold climate and have used straight 40 oil. At idle the oil pressure is 75 psi, is it possible that there are too much pressure due to the thick oil so the lifters gets pumped up and the valves donīt close ? when they tick you can clearly hear the cylinders fireing through the pipes. We will try with 10-40 oil tomorrow but if I am on the right track please let me know. Oh yeah the oil cooling system donīt have a thermostat so the oil is always very cold.

Also is it possible to swap from hydraulic lifters to solid lifters with out changing anything else ?

Cigaretteman[/QUOTE]
Old 05-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of things could cause "ticking". Does it go away when the engine and oil are hot? If it does, it's probably piston slap which while annoying, isn't a problem. As you're probably aware, it's caused by excessive clearance between the bore and the skirt of the piston. Forged pistons expand more than the cast, hyperutectic pistons which make them more likely to slap. If that ain't enough, you've got a very long stroke which doesn't help. I love my blown 572's in my Slingshot. Was out last Friday for the first time this season. Those babies bark!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Registered

It is not piston slack ! We are positive it is the lifters, you can hear the ticking moving around a little and when it is ticking the sound of the engine in the exhaust changes.

We tryed with the 10W 40 oil and still has close to 70 psi oil pressure at idle.
When the enignes fires there are no ticking for the first 10 seconds but once the oil pressure climbs over 55-60 psi the ticking begins.

We then tryed to to go fron 3/4 of a turn preload to 1 1/4 and the ticking almost dissapered !!! That is a good thing but the manual says preload is 1/2 to 1 turn. Is it safe to go to 1 1/2 turn preload or shoul I look else where for my ticking.

I need help really bad any enginebuilders lurking ???

Cigaretteman

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Lots of things could cause "ticking". Does it go away when the engine and oil are hot? If it does, it's probably piston slap which while annoying, isn't a problem. As you're probably aware, it's caused by excessive clearance between the bore and the skirt of the piston. Forged pistons expand more than the cast, hyperutectic pistons which make them more likely to slap. If that ain't enough, you've got a very long stroke which doesn't help. I love my blown 572's in my Slingshot. Was out last Friday for the first time this season. Those babies bark!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

70 lbs of oil pressure is not excessive. I have 80-85 at cold start up. Run it a bit then pull the valve covers and re adjust with 1 turn of pre load. You may just need to get the lifters pumped up. Start your pre load just as the pushrods start draging and make sure you are on the bottom of the lobe. Wouldnt be too worried yet, sounds like an adjustment problem.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:50 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Is this an aftermarket hyd. roller lifter or an OEM?

Chris

Old 05-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=cstraub69@comcast]Is this an aftermarket hyd. roller lifter or an OEM?

Chris[/QUOTE

Lifters are Crane
Old 05-20-2004, 07:18 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Do they have a link bar? Attached as pairs permanently. If not did you get the long travel design. The OEM hyd. rollers are only good for .625" lift.

Chris