Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Which Slip-In Mufflers to use? >

Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Notices

Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Old 05-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

I bit the bullet and installed the large Corsa Muffler Tips on my Fountain. I did not lose a single MPH and you can actually have a conversation in the boat while driving. I thought I would miss the noise, but I really don't.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I really don't want to quote a price. It might have been in the $300 dollar range. They guaranteed that you would be legal or they would "work with you" to get you legal. Read that any way you want to. And yes, the DNR on Winni is freekin' strict. I got my ticket up there last year with my broken Teague mufflers. They do check for the silent choice, but don't seem to recognize my Teague operable mufflers. They have only looked for the Y pipe.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:35 AM
GGB
Registered

Hey guy's, Graham from GGB. The High Flow louver insert creates WAY less backpressure than the other listed brands and are also quieter to boot. We know this because we've tested ours against the others. On average a 10-12 dB(A) reduction in sound will be seen or rather heard. Yes the price is substantially more but reflects the manufacturing gone into each muffler. The 289.00 price includes shipping if that makes it any easier to swallow.

Thanks
Graham Barkey
GGB
Old 05-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Graham-
Any problems importing those mufflers to the US from Canada? Just kidding: we tried sending NASCAR race tickets to a guy who lives in Vancouver and also owns a condo at Texas Motor Speedway, but Canadian customs wanted to slap on a duty of 150%. The tickets were for the season and were about $3,000. US.
Due
Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the slip ins, what makes them any different than the 4" X 8" IMCOs here http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/exhuast.html
Don't they both (GGBs and IMCO) reduce the inside diameter in the same fashion?
Thanks,
Dave
BTW, if you have them, the internal flappers need to be removed.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

GGB-I have to be carefull with asking too much information. I don't want them to hit you up for advertiser fees. Could you post a pic of these inserts? I have Teague switchable tips. The ends were open so a flapper could be inserted. Would your inserts fit my tips? They are 4.5" diameter-how much power will I loose? Don't sugar coat it, tell me straight up.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:21 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NordicHeat
Regarding the slip ins, what makes them any different than the 4" X 8" IMCOs here http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/exhuast.html
Don't they both (GGBs and IMCO) reduce the inside diameter in the same fashion?
Thanks,
Dave
BTW, if you have them, the internal flappers need to be removed.

Looks like it is the price, GGB's is 2-3 times more expensive. Not sure how much quiter it is if any.

Rick
Old 05-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

I have a set of those double x inserts on a slightly modified 454. I dont use them often. I loose about 200 RPM. On my old jet boat about 3 or 4 mph. They do cut the noise quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

Dave,
I almost got ticket from DNR last year. Where? Lake Monona! I had new Sunsation 288 just out for 15min. Anyway, I had 4" in-line muffler but I lost RPM and Speed. This year, I have transom mount from Corsa. It is better than I had last year. Due to not reducing small diameter. Just be care full w/DNR.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Registered

Speedyone,

I'm sure I know who you are but not sure if we have officially met. I did meet a guy from the Rockford, IL area named Randy who had a 288. The only other Sunsation I know is the channel near the old Muskie and you had a little outboard rocket prior to the Sunsation. Anyway....the DNR are weird in Madison as I'm not sure they even know how to administer the dB test (I'm not about to call them on it). Anyway....I don't think I have room for the transom mount the way that my integrated swim platform and current tips are installed. I could switch the tips but would be easier to just install the slip-ins. Usually in Madison I don't get much of a chance to hit top-end simply because the water gets so rough on the weekends and many inexperienced boaters on weekends. Perhaps I'll be at Gilligan's Island sometime soon if and when the rain ever stops. I typically hang out with a small group of guys that have Baja's (25-33 and everything in between). Oh yeah....don't hold that against me

Quick Reply: Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.