Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Which Slip-In Mufflers to use? >

Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Notices

Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Old 05-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which Slip-In Mufflers to use?

Dave,
I boat on the southern half of Winnebago and have never had a problem with the DNR. They have however been really watching the Fox and Wolf rivers out of Oshkosh. I've heard of many tickets being given out for noise violations. Your first problem is that you don't comply with state regs for a muffling device with your silent choice. Without that they don't even need to test your sound level, they can ticket you for no muffler. I have silent choice also and just this year decided to add mufflers. I bought the EMI inserts in a small clamp on tip for $129. The tips can be slipped on and off pretty easily. I don't know what to say about sound levels. I've never seen any results of tests performed the way the DNR does it in WI. Regarding power losses, I never saw any increased performance from my 7.4 with the thru hull open. If that's true, the mufflers can't hurt. Dennis Moore says in his book that unless you have aver 350hp, opening the thru hulls won't increase performance.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Registered

bago,

Thanks for the response. I know the law and understand that the silent choice is illegal anyway but if I have mufflers with the silent choice, I would be legal and would make them do a sound test. I do have quite a bit more than 350 horsepower and would like to use it all when possible. I understand that I may have to settle for a slight horsepower loss in order to be legal at that location and I'm ok with it. I was just looking for opinions for those that have tried the examples I gave and to see what the "real world" losses/results were. I believe I'll go with the slip ins from Eddie Marine as they claim more reduction in dB levels.

Thanks for the info about Winnebago though as I have never been there yet. Am looking forward to doing some boating there. Any places that I must hit while there? Good places to raft up?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:53 PM
Registered

Theres a place just south of Oshkosh on the west shore. Some call it party bay, others the cove. It sees a lot of boats on a summer weekend. 88° 30' and 43° 50' on the gps will get you there. Fond du Lac has a great ramp at Supple Marsh off of hwy 45. About a 20 min ride from there to Oshkosh. There are some nice places up the river in Oshkosh and beyond also. Fratello's is a restaurant attached to the Fox River Brewery. They have plenty of dock space and good beer. It's on the North side of the river in downtown Oshkosh. A lot of boats hang out upriver on sandbars between lakes Winneconne and Poygan. Plenty of room to roam.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:49 AM
GGB
Registered

Dave, it states that: All inserts slide inside their respective size exhaust. The exhaust we are referring to would be the tubing itself NOT the rubber hose. Inserts would be lose inside the hose. Sorry for any confusion, looks like we need to explain that a little better.

Graham
Old 05-25-2004, 04:57 AM
GGB
Registered

Cord and rv,

Just got back in from a few days off, I will have you some pics today.

Graham