Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring? >

Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring?

Notices

Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring?

Old 05-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring?

I bought the Rex Marine Powertorque Advantage type of exhaust diverters that are duplicates of the IMCO Sound Advantage type. It came with a metal type "toggle" switch that is momentary on / off / momentary on. It has six connections on back. Rex says the switch is to be wired to reverse polarity to progressively open/close the diverter worm gear solenoids much like raising/lowering the engine hatch. Attached is the diagram that came with the switch.

Well I wanted a Livorsi "rocker" type switch mom on / off /mom on type to place on my dash so I ordered and received one. It is a double poled switch with also six connectors on back exactly as shown in the diagram.

After wiring the switch as shown it would not operate the solenoids at all. I temp wired the "toggle" that came with it as shown, and it works fine.

Barring my NOT having connected something properly and/or completely, why won't the Livorsi model operate this reverse polarity type worm gear motor like the other? Is there another type of rocker switch I should've gotten?

Or is it the right one and I definitely didn't have something connected right?
Attached Thumbnails Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring?-diverterswitchdiagram01.jpg  

Last edited by Reckless32; 05-19-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Default Re: Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring?

No electrical geeks out there huh...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Registered

Default Re: Progressive open/close exhaust diverter switch wiring?

the wiring is correct as long as the switch closes on each side as most dueif they are good. You can take the worm gear out and have your voltmeter wired just as the worm gear would be . In one direction you will get supply voltage or 12 volts and in the other direction you will get reverse polarity or -12 volts. If you can just take the switch and on OHMS see if you get Zero when you hold the switch to one side and blinking digits indicating open in the other direction. This would be with one end of the volt meter to the center pin and the other end of the volt meter alternating between the pin on either side of the center pin. When you check the switch this way have no power applied just the voltmeter with the selector on Ohms (the upside down U or the omega symbol) and the switch. If it closes to either side the switch is good. Have you driven the worm gears in each direction by putting 12 and -12 volts on them?