Silent Thunder Removal Difficulty >

Silent Thunder Removal Difficulty

Notices

Silent Thunder Removal Difficulty

Old 05-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent Thunder Removal Difficulty

I have a 89' Formula 223LS. The swim platform / silent thunder box is starting to show some hairline cracks around the one u-bolt. I am trying to take it off and put some larger metal plates on to reinforce the fiberglass where the ubolt holds it. I am talking about the ubolts on the top of the platform not at the bottom. I have went under the engine hatch and taken the nuts off. I used a rubber hammer to hit the bolts out towards the back but they won't budge. I pulled on the u bolt from the back and I cannot move it. Does anyone know of any reason it might not want to come out or is it just frozen? If anyone has any experience with this it would be great.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: Silent Thunder Removal Difficulty

I have a 1987 F223LS and I just rebuilt the back of my platform and installed new seals and U-Bolts. The two top u-bolts go directly through the transom as you discovered. Before you start to take them out, make sure you support the platform so it won't flex any other bolted areas and crack the gel/fiberglas.

Then, instead of the rubber mallet, get a baby sledge and beat it silly - hit one leg and then the other. Keep doing it and it will pop off. It is probably the sealer that is holding it in. I put larger SS plates as well. It looks so much better.

I hate to say this, BUT..you may have other problems like a rotted out center section in the back of the platform. This is what I just replaced over the winter. When this wood support starts to go, it puts even more stress on those mounting points and the gel cracks.

Do a search in the Formula section for "Silent Thunder" and you will find a WEALTH of info pertaining to your problem.

Good Luck!

-Larry
Old 05-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I checked on the silent thunder threads and it seems that no one has had as much trouble getting those bolts out as I have.

The rotting wood is what I was afraid of. I am not exactly sure what I am going to do about it. I might just put the SS plates on for now and deal with it at the end of the year. It has been like this for quite some time. I know the seal is pretty bad also. I just need to get those u bolts off. I am sure it is the sealer that is still holding the u bolts in there. I will get a small sledge and beat them to a pulp. Have you heard of anyone using heat to melt that sealer. I read something about a heat gun on one of those threads? Thank you very much for your info.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit it wih a bigger hammer. Had a 357 Formula that had the same problem and ended up leaving the platform off as it had rottened too bad after being rebuilt twice before. Usually someone has put 5200 in the holes to prevent water intrusion and makes for a real pain the A?? to remove just about anything. Seriously though, bigger hammer and NOT a rubber one . To keep from damaging the threads put one of the nuts back on and use it to strike against. All else fails a comealong on the outside and hit it again.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Registered

Gents,

Got it!!! You were right I just needed to beat the crap out of it. I got both bolts out and put the SS plates on. I believe it is going to be time for a rebuild at the end of the year. It looks fairly rotten on the inside of the holes. Thanks for the help.

Drew