Notices

Oil Flow

Old 05-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Flow

We are putting a new oil filter mounting ass. and lines on our race boat, and we are not sure what direction the oil flows thur the filter. Out the center or out the smaller holes? Thanks in advance
Old 05-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Flow

The oil should flow into the smaller holes, through the element, then out the big hole probably to your oil cooler. It will be obvious to you if you cut the lid off of an oil filter then look at how they are constructed. That's how I had to prove it to myself.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is of the utmost importance that the oil filter be plumbed correctly. If you install a remote oil filter on the engine and eliminate the oil bypass in the stock filter mount... you have to run a filter that has a built in bypass... Fram Hp 6 filters have a bypass in the filter housing... you can see the bypass if you look into the big hole in the middle... it looks like a brown button... when the oil is cold... or the engine is revving at high rpm's... the filter isn't capable of filtering all the oil... so a good portion of the oil has to flow through the bypass... if the filter is plumbed backwards... the oil pressure will hold the bypass shut instead of the oil flowing through the bypass. Then more oil will be flowing out the pressure relief valve in the pump than going to the bearings... this will result in the bearings failing very quickly in the lower end and the upper end being starved for oil... I know this first hand... the Moron that built my motors plumbed the starboard engine backwards and the engine scattered in a spectacular fashion... I'll show you the result of an improperly plumbed oiling system... this only took a few minutes to happen.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Flow-rod-1-resized.jpg  
Old 05-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, We are using the PH6 filter.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

what would cause the oil line to burst (twice) coming out of the remote filter housing attachment? I've had 2 lines --one burst, the other blew the end off of a hydraulic crimped end --rated at 2800 lbs press. The oil pressure was at 80 psi, if it was too high wouldn't it blow the filter apart first?? I'm pretty sure that it is flowing properly after watching it while priming the oil manually.