Amplifier placement >

Amplifier placement

Notices

Amplifier placement

Old 05-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier placement

I am in the process of re-designing the audio system on a baja hammer. sub woofer placement is flexible, but have a question about placing two amps in the engine compartment. the separator wall between the engine compartment and the seating area has a panel on either side, large enough for the amps to be mounted, and out of the way.

does this pose any danger or risk with gases or fumes? I have considered heat a factor for the amps, but down here, anywhere concealed has considerably high daytime temps.

thanx.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Amplifier placement

It is not recommended but has been done. One of the problem is that when you wash down the engine bay your amps get soaked.

Jon
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

plus if the amp shorts out and there are any gas fumes kaboom. and insurance wont cover it because its not coast guard aproved electrical componet in the engine compartment.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

What about under the bench seat or in the cuddy in an aft cabinet?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my advise to you, these amps of today are made to be showed off, plus you know how hot it gets on any part of a boat. do a neat job on your wiring, let some air get to it, and show off some of that amperage.. im doing the same thing as we speak, im going with Memphis amps and jl subs and speakers. 4 10 inch subs, and 8 6 inch, my brother is a wire nut so, he works so neat it looks good out in the open, plus we are looking at 2000 watts, needs air......just my 2 cents, good luck...
Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Registered

Again, I am glad I asked.

I spent an afternoon poking around and pulling up the gas tank cover for cable routes. Trying to keep the amp's out of the cuddy as there is Zero air circulation when anchored.

Not a whole lot of space to expose these amps so will probably mount under the bench seat as suggested.

Will be installing a buss bar for both ground and common for the additional battery and power cables. This will be done in the area under the bench seat and found some house rated buss bars at Lowe's to use.

I looked at West Marine and it appeared the only difference was the price and those were mounted on black plastic. Since my current buss bar is bolts through the firewall(fiberglass between the engine compartment and the compartment under the bench seat) these should be sufficient in amperage rating. Also have pre-drilled 2-ga holes and several other smaller gauged connections. Seems ideal.

Also picked up these clear covers to put over the buss bar to avoid hitting or damage. Covers are what you'd use to put over your external power outlets at your house.

Thanx for everyone's feedback and saving me a costly mistake!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Registered

Never, Never install your amps in the engine compartment for two reasons. Heat and moisture. A hot amp run inefficiently and will shut down after a liitle while. The moisture from the bilge and heat from the motors will create moisture in the amps causing them to go bad. Amps need to stay cool as possible and most definately dry!