Throttle and Shifter operation >

Throttle and Shifter operation

Notices

Throttle and Shifter operation

Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle and Shifter operation

I have Merc Keikhaefer controls on my boat and was reading that you can configure the Zero-Effort controls so that they operate differently without tools, etc. Are the Zero-Effort Hi-performance controls the same as the Keikhaefer Hi-performance controls?

This is from Merc racing's website:
"Installation is easy, with the ability of making cable connections without disassembly of the control. Double-ended levers enable either push or pull cable operation. The direction in which both shift and throttle levers operate can be changed easily without special tools. "

Currently, the throttle operates so that at WOT the throttle handles are all the way back towards the driver. The shifter operates so that engaging FORWARD requires pulling the shifter handles back toward the driver, REVERSE requires pushing the shifter handles all the way forward, away from the driver.

To me, that seems counter-intuitive. FORWARD should mean the shifter handles are pushed forward, REVERSE should mean the handles are pulled back. WOT should be fully forward.

I pulled the controls out of the dash and tried flipping the cable around so that it pushed/pulled in opposite directions so that it would operate as I decribed, but I couldn't get the cable adapter/clevis to engage the shifter handle. Do I need to disassemble the shifter to make the switch?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:26 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Throttle and Shifter operation

The only disassembly that you need to do is pull the pin that holds all of the cable jackets in the slot on the stainless bracket (very bottom of contols). Once you pull this pin out you can disconnect the cable jacket from the controls. Once the jacket is disconnected you raise the cable up until you can disconnect the cable end from the throttle or shifter lever.

To switch directions of operation you reconnect cable end to opposite arm on thottle or shifter end (front arm or back arm). Then re-attach cable jacket to opposite slot at botton of stainless bracket. Re-insert pin and you are all done. Some adjusting of cable length maybe needed to get the throws centered again.

Rick