RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI

Notices

RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI

Old 07-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI

Hi Marty:

The big white fuel filter/water separator goes before the pump. The red filter is after the pump. Aeromotive uses the same red housing with a 100 micron stainless mesh screen before the pump to prevent what you had happen. That mesh has very little pressure drop so it can't make the pump cavitate.

I didn't use the mesh screen filter because you need the water separation ability on a boat. So you just get the biggest water separating filter you can find, in a filter head with 1/2" NPT and as few ELBOWs as possible between the tank, filter and pump. I go straight into the filter head without an elbow, out of the filter head without an elbow, but I had to use one 90 degree fitting before the pump. It isn't a brass fitting, it is a formed tube Aeroquip fitting with a decent radius. Then there is another one of those after the pump, then straight to the red filter you see through 1/2" hose.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Registered

This photo compares the stock injectors to the visibly larger 50 lb injectors. Arizona Speed & Marine has to machine the body of the injector down a bit to fit. They also supply a fuel rail spacer kit that raises the fuel rail. We found that we had to mill this spacer from 0.260" to 0.185" to hold the injectors down into the large rubber isolator in the port bosses. You still have to be able to spin the injectors by hand, no too tight.
Attached Thumbnails RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-comparison-injectors.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-fuel-rail-spacers-machined.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-fuel-rail-spacer-injector-fit.jpg  

Old 07-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered

The larger injector body requires a bit of work with the Dremel on #1 and #8 cylinders. You have to plug up all the port bosses so the chips don't go into the intake manifold. The #7 hole in the injector rail has to be opened up from 9/64" to 13/64". This is a bit tricky. All the other injector holes are full the O-ring diameter all the way up into the top (supply) side of the fuel rail. But the #7 hole is only 1/2 as deep because of how the supply and return lines are plumbed into the back of the fuel rail in this vicinity. So there is a small hole drilled on an angle from the #7 hole into the top of the rail. This needs to be opened up to supply enough fuel to the larger injector. Finally, everything in the fuel system is together and subjected to a leak test. This is a good time to set the base fuel pressure to 50 psi.
Attached Thumbnails RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-clearancing-1-8-injectors.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-installing-new-injectors-rail.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-fuel-system-leak-test.jpg  

Old 07-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

After some thought about how hard a boat can hit the waves we decided to add another brace to the intercooler/oilfilter support bracket. We installed the 2 Bar MAP sensor and hooked up the new harness, repinned (for the MEFI3). A slightly different MAP plug comes with the sensor from Vortech and you have to swap this for the old plug on the harness.

This is the fuel filter head that comes with the Permacool filter from Jeg's. If you order the Fram 1/2" NPT fuel filter head it is exactly the same. We ordered both just to see. It does look like the Fram filter is more detailed; it has an extra little screen inside the center hole.
Attached Thumbnails RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-additional-brace-intercooler-support.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-new-map-sensor.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-fuel-filter-head.jpg  

Last edited by tomcat; 07-23-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Tomcat,are these mods you did to the fuel rail the ones azsm usually have you send it to them to do? I have also trimmed the plastic a little before on the three pin plug in wiring harnes so it would plug into two bar map sensor without splicing into factory harness. Did you trim the rail spacers because the injectors were too loose? THANKS
Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

I guess you could send the rail to AZSM to enlarge the passage in the #7 injector hole. Vortech brought it to my attention and AZSM told me how to do it over the phone.

You're right, you could trim the plastic to make the MAP plug fit. Vortech sent the different plug and we had a pin removal tool so that's what we did. You don't have to splice into the harness; just pull the pins and push them into the new plug.

I thought the spacers held the injectors too high out of the large rubber isolators that sit in the port bosses of the intake manifold. At first we tried spacers that we made out of 0.125" aluminum, but they were too low; you couldn't spin the injectors. So we split the difference by milling the AZSM spacers.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

HEY IT LOOKS LIKE THAT CREATURE IS GOING TO BE A BMF.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LAZ MESA WWW.MESABALANCING.COM
Old 07-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Registered

Here is a comparison of an MEFI 1 ECU and the smaller MEFI 3. This is how the old computer is mounted. The black metal plate you are looking at is mounted on the port exhaust riser and normally faces the stbd. It is laid over for better viewing in these pictures. You only use one of the four original mounting holes, and drill another to mount the new computer as shown. When Bob Endress of Vortech repinned the wiring harness the two large plugs that go into the ECU wanted to sit in this position so that's the way we mounted it.
Attached Thumbnails RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-comparison-ecus.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-position-old-ecu.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-position-new-ecu.jpg  

Old 07-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am really stretching the memmory but I remember there was a problem with the fuel rail. It feeds from the rear with one about 3/8" hole and that feeds all 8 injectors. This is inadequate! If I remember Vortech had some adapter pieces and I rerouted the fuel lines. On the IN line into the fuel rail (fr) I put a T fitting and then ran a fuel line to the front of the fr and into a T fitting and into the shrader valve hole and then screwed the shrader valve into the T. You use the fuel pressure regulator adapter piece from Vortech and then use a freestanding FPR. By doing this you are now using the rear supply hole in the fr to supply the back 4 injectors and using the front hole in the fr to supply the front 4 injectors. I think you will have to do this because the stock fuel rail and it's 3/8" hole will not be able to supply enough fuel to the injectors. The front injectors will starve and boom. All the high HP EFI SC applications recommend/require 1/2" bore fuel rails on each bank only feeding 4 injectors.

I'll try and dig up some of my old papers. Talk to ya later. Marty.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered

Here's the harness plugged in to the new ECU.

Because the oil filter is relocated to under the intercooler, oil lines have to change. You can use the two stock steel lines to make up a new line feeding the oil filter. A new line has to be made to go from the filter to the oil cooler. The stock oil cooler to engine line remains. I should have joined these two lines with a better 90 degree fitting but couldn't find a better fitting.
Attached Thumbnails RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-harness-installed-new-ecu.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-laying-out-two-stock-lines-make-one-feed-line-filter.jpg   RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI-connecting-two-stock-lines-feed-new-filter.jpg  

Quick Reply: RTECH Supercharger on 502 MPI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.