Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line >

Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line

Notices

Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line

Old 06-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line

Doug just picked up my mighty demon and it looks sweet.Was just wondering if you make anything that would or could help us out with this problem on marine use.or do you guys have the abilty to double flair a steel line if we provided it.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 06-11-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

183.538 Metallic fuel line materials

Each metallic fuel line connecting the fuel tank with the fuel inlet connection on the engine must:
a) be made of seamless annealed copper, nickel copper, or copper nickel; and
b) except for corrugated flexible fuel line, have a minimum wall thickness of 0.029 inches.

The article goes on to state:

If metal is used for any portion of the fuel line (except for fittings) from the tank connection to the engine connection (usually at the fuel pump), the metallic fuel line portions must be seamless, annealed:

1) copper;
2) Nickel copper (monel); or
3) Copper-nickel

No other metals are permitted.

Also, the thickness of the tubing wall must be at least 0.029 inches unless the fuel line portion is a corrugated or accordion type flexible fuel line. Tubing is available with thinner wall thicknesses, but they SHALL NOT be used.

Metal fuel lines used on the engine, i.e. the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, may be made of materials other than those listed. This line is usually supplied with the engine.

So, according to coast guard regs, he fuel line is actually legal. They simply are not addressing it. The reason is that it's probably covered under some ANSI regulation the the engine manufacturer would need to comply with.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Randy,

A) You're not legal B) and more importantly as soft as the aluminum line is just make sure to check it on a regular bassis as you do your other maintainence.

Hard Stainless Steel lines are the best way to do it, both for longevity, and legality.
Doug... What about BG part# 140055 3/8" Push-on Stainless Hard Line (What does "push-on" mean anyways? Does it not thread into the fuel bowls and fuel line from the pump?) If I could get a description or picture if possible. I also need to fit in my Holley regulator somewhere...

BH
Old 06-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Registered

Here is my aluminum lines and routing....
BH
Attached Thumbnails Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line-eng4.jpg   Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line-eng5.jpg  

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 06-11-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Registered

I dont know about alum fuel lines, I used alum on my valve spring oiler and the broke!, I went to stainless steel, no problems in over a year.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

I don't know about alum fuel lines, I tried to use alum on my valve spring oiler and the lines broke, so I used stainless steel and have had no problems, it been a year.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

583 I can hardly read their small print but it does read that way.The A1 line is rubber.It has been a long time since I took my Coast Guard test for engineer like the early eighties but at that time I do believe it had to be a steel line.I am looking for my old test book that I hope I still have. If that is the case then the only outher problem I see is if you cover the A1 line with stainless braid they will not be able to read that is aproved.Well if it matters I did find a shop in Lancaster NY that will make steel fuel lines if anyone cares.Classic Tube ph.#800-882-3711

Last edited by FloridianSon; 06-15-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered

583 was wondering the BG carb does not have a port for the diaphragm line off the pump and I know that it can be run to the flame arrestor but could it be run back to the fuel tank as I have a extra fitting there?
Old 06-15-2004, 09:56 AM
220BR

I gave up trying to decipher the USCG requirements on gas fuel lines ON THE ENGINE (ie, not from tank to engine). Yes, 183.540 says plainly that A1 rubber may be used on the engine (assuming A1 rubber would confrom to other sections). But, *supposedly* there are other USCG sections (about pressure testing/permeability, I think) that effectively eliminate A1 rubber from on the engine and relegate you to metal fuel lines.

Don't know for sure, but we need to get to the bottom of this mess once and for all (and archive the detials).

Old 06-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line

Hell at this point I don't know if I want to know.I do know that it would make things a lot simpler for my new setup to run the A1 line and just carry a copy of what I read on the Coast Guard sight

Quick Reply: Need info/suggestions on Fuel Line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.