VHF Radio help >

VHF Radio help

Notices

VHF Radio help

Old 06-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default VHF Radio help

Used my VHF today for the first time and the boats that I was talking to all complained that my radios volume was very low compared to all the others. I switched the radio to both high and low output but it didn't seem to make any difference - has anyone had a problem like this that can help??
Old 06-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: VHF Radio help

How long is your antenna ? Try a 10-12 footer. Make sure the VHF is ISOLATED to it's own power supply from the fuse block with a constant un-interruptable (no inline on/off switch) 12 volts. Use a stainless steel antenna mount rather than a plastic one.

And one final thought as dumb as it may sound. Get a little closer to the mic when you speak.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: VHF Radio help

Originally Posted by Trippin
How long is your antenna ? Try a 10-12 footer. Make sure the VHF is ISOLATED to it's own power supply from the fuse block with a constant un-interruptable (no inline on/off switch) 12 volts. Use a stainless steel antenna mount rather than a plastic one.

And one final thought as dumb as it may sound. Get a little closer to the mic when you speak.

I have a 10' antenna with a stainless mount and it is isolated with its own 12 volt power supply. I did try getting closer to the mic too but that didn't seem to help. I'm told that most boats will not hear me if I call unless their radios are turned way up?? Someone mentioned something about a ground but that doesn't seem logical does it?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm only assuming that the unit is properly grounded, but even still with the setup you have I see no reason for your radio tx to not tx properly. Maybe it's just a defective radio as unlikely as that may be.

As a last resort run an alternate ground lead from the S/S antenna base to a fixed ground anywhere nearby, fuseblock ground mabey.

I have no other ideas except to try a different brand of radio.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

It's not going to be an antenna problem. Weak signals commonly come thru as loud as strong signals if you got the squelch down. VHF uses FM style modulation and you either got the signal or you don't - volume shouldn't act like it is tied to signal strength.

Try a new mic - or borrow another mic to use. While there may be something wrong with a circuit in your radio, I'm betting it's between the mic socket on the front and the part you hold in your hand.

mc