Sticky Trim Indicators

Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sticky Trim Indicators

Formula1, its easy to take the cilynder apart,
put drive up to trailer position - unscrew the back of the cilynder - pull the black shaft and spring out - leave the u shaped retainer on end of spring - take the cylinder off by removing the hose clamps (it might be easier to take the stopper off the end of the lift piston, won't have to re-adjust) Try spraying break cleaner and then brush the snot out of it. The best way to rule out this problem after cleaning is to unscrew the black shaft and run in and out by hand. If unrestricted and indicator still sticks, its the cable.

Now the pain in the ass, considering the age of your boat its probably time to do all 4 cables, trim and tabs. I just did mine (89 311) couple weeks ago after putting up with sticky cables for a year. Your can get the stock Morse part numbers off the existing cable, either at the indicator end or at the transom(inside). There are options when ordering, get the next size (gauge not length) up from stock. My lengths were 1-18', 1-22', and 2-23' for a 311.

When taking the indicator apart, keep track of the small spings under the pins, if lost use one from a pen, it works.
Good luck!
Old 06-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ya'll. I had some (if not all) of the cables replaced 5-6 years ago. I just can't remember The starboard indicator works well when tilting the drive IN, only when it's going OUT that it doesn't follow the drive all the way OUT. When it's on the trailer, I can just pull it out till it touches the stop.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CMG: Thank you for your post. I'm putting indicators on my 302 for the first time later this year. Got a favor to ask: would you measure the distance from your indicator gauge to the transom? That, along with your prior post, and my guesses with a tape measure should determine the correct cables for my boat.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered

I had the same problem, but it was caused by the indicator itself binding. I had to zip-tie the cable to free it up.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know if any of you fella's have the need, but...I have two(2) of those Kiekhaefer/Mercury Hi-Performance Drive Accuator Kits, brand-new, in the box, with complete instructions, available for $300.00 for the pair, or $160.00 for one, plus shipping. They sell for almost $300.00 EACH! Great savings. Let me know. Thanks, Ed
Old 06-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I have the same problem and tried everything with no luck.

Just bought some new cables from Eddie Marine that are more flexible than the stock Merc cables.

In talking with folks, seems the number one problem is the cables.

Now I have to install them.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:36 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
CMG: Thank you for your post. I'm putting indicators on my 302 for the first time later this year. Got a favor to ask: would you measure the distance from your indicator gauge to the transom? That, along with your prior post, and my guesses with a tape measure should determine the correct cables for my boat.
I'll save you some guesstimating, here is Formula C/S, 260-724-1412 [email protected], these guys are great and they will give you the exact lengths. Over past couple years I have asked for some odd info and they always respond right away with exact part numbers. (I've got a 15 year old boat and they treat me likes its new) You'd hate to have your cables out and find you bought the wrong size (no one stocks cables locally).

Good luck! Chris
Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

CMG: Thanks for that. The factory is very nice to their "family", but their records on 302's are weak at best. In fact, they have given me the wrong information before. One helpful support worker even told me "there's this website, and a guy on there named Audio-something, and he has a lot of info on 302's". That's the honest truth. They simply did not know the answer on my 302, but were trying to be helpful.

For the models starting in the mid eighties and newer, the factory has stellar records. My guess is the Porters bought Formula in the '80s and developed the models with the curved windshield. So, there may simply have been few records for the square windshield boats from the prior owner.

As my boat's never had mechanical indicators, I can't even take the old out and measure them. Therefore, can someone with a 311 measure the distance from their gauge at the helm to the transom? With that and the lengths mentioned above, I can determine what I need to order.

thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
As my boat's never had mechanical indicators, I can't even take the old out and measure them. Therefore, can someone with a 311 measure the distance from their gauge at the helm to the transom? With that and the lengths mentioned above, I can determine what I need to order.
thanks.
Chart,
Go to the Formula Forum and talk to Cuda. I believe you said you have a 302, right? He's got a 302 and should be able to give you exact measurements.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Chart,
Go to the Formula Forum and talk to Cuda. I believe you said you have a 302, right? He's got a 302 and should be able to give you exact measurements.
Yes, Cuda got a 302, and it is the nicest 302 I've ever seen pictures of. He's also got surface drives, and that is a wild card in this hunt for cable lengths. He could measure his cables in his boat, but that is a lot of work, not likely to be more accurate than when I measured the distance of the runs in mine (and the upholstery was out to simplify things) and much harder than what I've requested.

Isn't there someone with a 311, a tape measure, and the willingness to use it?!!!

I've got, and can confirm, the length of cables on a 311. The only unknown is the run from the transom to the dash gauge, and that should be a simple measurement. One person stands on the swim platform on the starboard side and holds the tape over the transom, and a second person holds the other end at the indicator gauge at the dash and records the length. They post it on OSO for me, and I'm eternally grateful to them for their help.

I'll do the same on my 302 and adjust the length of the cables accordingly.

Pleeeeease?!!!!!

But, you are right that the Formula section may be a better place to ask this, but we're here now.

Quick Reply: Sticky Trim Indicators

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.