Engine Gurus... 400 SBC

Notices

Engine Gurus... 400 SBC

Old 06-23-2004, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Engine Gurus... 400 SBC

This is sorta OT.....

Anyone have luck with sleeves in a 400? (I know,.....I should have gone with a aftermarket block long ago...) The motor in my hotrod has cracks in 2 cylinders and I'm almost sure it's from getting hot. I had the water pump drive fail on a run earlier this year and the temp went up past 270. They are short and parellel to the deck surface, a little past halfway down the stroke. I have a points race next Fri and I think this would be the quickest way to get it back together. I have heard water leakage is the biggest concern. Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Gurus... 400 SBC

I build a 406 for my old Formula, old gearheads didn't like this motor 'cause it overheated too much, found out that this was due to the lack of steam vent holes drilled in the heads that 'they' pulled off their 327 and 350 CI engines and bolted to the siamese bore block, my shop drilled my Brodix heads and even when I melted #8 piston from detonation, never had an overheating problem.

Sleeves? Never sleeved one but if it can be done and pass pressure check at 30 to 40 PSI (4 times normal running pressure) I would do it.
My block was a standard chevy 400 two bolt main and on my 3000# boat could pull a 15.25" X 27" pitch Quad Four Hydromotive to 4600 RPM at 80 MPH, not bad for a 18' boat, at least until it spit the teeth off the Alpha drive gears.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:13 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Sleeved several when I worked in the shop years ago. . .will work fine.

Chris

Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the block inspected for cracks. Chances are those aren't the only cracks you will find. It is common for the 400-SBC block to crack between the headbolt holes and the upper steam holes.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Gurus... 400 SBC-400sbc.jpg  
Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would not be afraid to run sleeves in a 400 unless there are cracks other places than cylinder walls like mentioned earlier.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by robyw1
I would have the block inspected for cracks. Chances are those aren't the only cracks you will find. It is common for the 400-SBC block to crack between the headbolt holes and the upper steam holes.
I know about those cracks, and I do not see any. I will have it checked though. The last block I had did that and my machinist told me it was from using head studs. The un-threaded portion of the stud tightened against the deck surface can cause that crack in a 400. I use ARP bolts now.

Thanks for the input everyone.

This is for my car BTW.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

HEY AS LONG AS THE SLEEVE IS INSTALLED WITH A STEP AT THE BOTTOM FOR THE SLEEVE TO SIT ON FLAT ALL THE WAY AROUND AT BASE YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS IF YOU CANT FIND SOMEONE TO DO IT FOR YOU RIGHT AWAY SEND IT TO ME AND ILL HAVE IT OUT OF HERE FINISHED THE FOLLOWING DAY HONED READY TO GO IF I CAN HELP LET ME KNOW 1-305-884-5368 LAZ MESA WWW.MESABALANCING.COM
Old 06-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

Just got a call from the machinist, It's broke. With over 13-1 and the amount of nitrous that goes through this thing, I don't want to take a chance.

Anyone got a spare block laying around that will clean up to .030 that's a drivable distance from VA?

Too many hobbies and not enough time
Old 06-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Just got a call from the machinist, It's broke. With over 13-1 and the amount of nitrous that goes through this thing, I don't want to take a chance.

Anyone got a spare block laying around that will clean up to .030 that's a drivable distance from VA?

Too many hobbies and not enough time
Perhaps you might want to consider a 383? That much compression with NOS? that is a little high isn't it? I mean you're just asking to blow out the gasket from the cylinder to the steam holes.

Roby
Old 06-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MESA BALANCING
HEY AS LONG AS THE SLEEVE IS INSTALLED WITH A STEP AT THE BOTTOM FOR THE SLEEVE TO SIT ON FLAT ALL THE WAY AROUND AT BASE YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS IF YOU CANT FIND SOMEONE TO DO IT FOR YOU RIGHT AWAY SEND IT TO ME AND ILL HAVE IT OUT OF HERE FINISHED THE FOLLOWING DAY HONED READY TO GO IF I CAN HELP LET ME KNOW 1-305-884-5368 LAZ MESA WWW.MESABALANCING.COM
Won't this proceedure create a possible clearance problem if say he were using aluminum rods 5.7 or longer? I'm no expert on sleeving but things get pretty tight in that block with the 3.75 crank.

Roby

Quick Reply: Engine Gurus... 400 SBC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.