Oil filter temps vers oil temps??? >

Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Notices

Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Your very welcome Gary!!! I hope you can figure out what is going on. Now my temps are taken after the cooler, so we are talking apples and oranges, just so you know..

Just pull one off, that should tell you..

Dick
Old 12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,

I'm running twin 525's with closed cooling on my boat. Merc Racing says 260* is normal oil temp. Had a problem with oil temp on one motor that turned out to be a cracked header. The water leaking down clogged the oil filter so the bypass sends the oil back without going through the cooler. Also had a bad oil thermostat on my other motor. Both motors now run 260* at WOT forever.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input MD. Merc sets up motors differently. My motors when they were stock never saw over 210* and by Merc design. After 8 years and 360 hrs, they looked very good on the inside when I tore them apart for upgrades. Although 260* may be in the range of acceptability, especially those utilizing synthetic oil, it seems too close to the edge for me, since I am not using synthetic. High heat over time unnoticed simply will destroy an engine. The psi on my motors start to drop around 235* oil temp. High oil temp brings down the viscosity of oil and I would trade a little less temp for a little more time to catch a potential problem before it ruins a motor. Gary
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, I think I have A type O , My normal temp is at 220, still higher than you like. Merc says they like it hot to burn off the condensation inside the motor. I agree with you, I like the cooler temps also.

Good Luck
Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dick: I splashed the boat today, after pulling the Mocal sandwich T-stats off and creating one continous oil cooling loop for each engine. Lines go from the block to the remote filter, then to the cooler and then back to the block. Also might I add that my engines are all plumbed in -8AN.
It took a while to register any temperature on the gauge, so I took it very easy for the first 10-15 minutes to allow the oil to warm up. When the oil guages read around 140*, I jumped on plane and cruised at different engine rpms. Well to my amazement, and throughout the whole morning, the oil temp on each motor never got above 170*(WOT). In fact, the temp stayed mostly around 160*. Well, that kills the HV oil pump heat theory!
It now seems these mocal T-stat sandwich plates are nothing but a huge restriction for my application. But, the Eddie Marine 3x15 coolers are doing too good of a job.
I am going to call BAT INC on Monday(Mocal) and talk to them about this to see what they suggest.
Now I am in the same boat (ha, ha) as you were.

Gary
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,
Let me know what you hear from BAT. I am running Mocal T-stat adapter as well. I did not get much opportunity to run the boat, 25 hours on a fresh motor so I was sort of taking it easy. I did massage the passages a bit on the adapter to help the flow.

I spoke with Mocal before installation and he assured me that the adapter with T-stat would flow sufficient. I am using 12 an lines. I spoke with one of the engineers that designed the plate.

If I recall I was seeing temps of 250 at WOT. I am using the
Eddie Marine large combo cooler.

Tim T.

Last edited by BadDog; 12-16-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Mr Gadgets....check the oil flow direction through the cooler.....it should be going against the flow of water for max cooling and not with the flow of water.......maybe something to check out.

very sharpe, good thinking
Old 12-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Gary,
I am glad to hear you didnt pull motors and oil pumps to find that wasnt the problem. Just struck me, that I have never heard of that issue before, so all is good!! On to a solution..
I was shocked to see that my KE unit didnt work. But proved it did when I removed it and found the system worked normally. Hopefully this winter I will get my prototype unit finished and see how well it works..

Thanks for the feedback..

Dick
Old 12-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the early KE remote oil thermostats had problems due the the tolerances were too tight. I bought a pair in the late 90's after the issue was corrected and they worked flawlessly for 5 years (sold these engines).
Today I use the KE oil mount/thermostat units and they have also have worked well with no issues. All of these parts were purchased when Keith was running the business.
If you call Keith, he can probably tell you what you need to do to get your remote thermostats up and running.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Ben,
thanks for the heads up.. I was going to send the unit back to KE but just never got to it. It sits on the shelf, taking up space. I should contact them and see what can be done to it.. Then sell it... It is a nice piece, but I like the way I an doing the temp control now. More on that later..

Thanks!
Dick

Quick Reply: Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.