Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Notices

Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Tim:
I contacted BAT Inc today. They did not have an answer for this issue. However, without arguement, they were quick to say: "At this point, we can/could swap the units for inline models or return the plates for a refund."
This leads me to believe there are issues with this product and others have complained or returned them as well.
The thing that bothers me is the lack of information that some companies are willing to share, post or give out today.
I want to search for other oil T-stats, but may consider trying the in-line ones they are offering, once I have had a chance to review all/what else is out there.
I'll post more, when I find out.
Gary
Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,
Thanks for checking. I used the BAT adapter after reading of others success with the unit. As long as I don't see over 260 in the pan I think I will be OK? The engineer I spoke with indicated that these units are used on SCORE trucks, stock cars and circle track with no problems. He gave me the flow rate numbers but I don't recall. At the time they seemed reasonable.

The main reason I went with the plate adapter was to eliminate fittings which cause flow restrictions. I am plumbed "backwards" at this point but i am not really buying the cross flow theory. I don't think the water is in the cooler long enough to heat up any considerable amount when compared to the oil temp. On paper it would work better counter flowing, but in reality doubt it makes a difference. Oil coming in about 190 to 250 and water flowing across 75 to 85. The water could not be picking up much heat before exiting the cooler due to the volume passing through.

One thing I am doing and others with high oil temps may try is using a dump valve. Consider this, only the amount of water able to get out of the exhaust is available for cooling. The goesinto equals the goesouta. If the raw water pump has more capacity than the goesouta then it will just fold the vanes or make excess pressure. By using a dump valve on the other side of the oil cooler more water is seen by the cooler thus maximizing the cooler effect.

My block pressure is 5 at idle, 10 at 2k, 18 at 3k and above. My dump valve is 3/4" and is spewing a solid steam at the drive top cap while on plane. The water going overboard but not through the engine is the extra that the cooler sees. Side benefit is the drive shower from hell and a clean transom!

Tim T.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Re: Oil filter temps vers oil temps???

Here's more for those interested:
Sent the Mocal sandwich plate units back and took the option they offered for the Mocal inline 180* T-stats from BAT. When they arrived I noticed they sent -10 units so I used reducers to adapt one of them to one of my engines. (-8 plumbing) Comparing the one engine with the inline oil T-stat vs. the one without:The result was almost no difference at all. Oil temp never got above 170*on either motor. The only difference I could see was that the oil temp came up much quicker on the motor with the T-stat.
Bottom line? - back to the drawing board.......
Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GNJ,
Didnt you say you are looking at the oil temp in the pan? I would guess that if you are, and seeing 170*, then the tstat isnt working. Letting the oil into the cooler too soon. At least the oil temp comes up sooner, so you are seeing some effect.

Di_ck
Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen ... you too **** ...

I have built a pair of 496's (MIV) for my 311 and have enjoyed reading this thread ... I am about ready to drop the motors in and have been running some test on the motors ..just on a test stand ..we did not Dyno them ...I'm thinking 550-600HP ...I did not or have not yet installed Thermostats on the coolers ... I was hoping I can run them as is and see what kind of temps I see and go from there ... Some issues now involve the water temps ... I am running Stainless Marine Crossovers and a Sierra Stainless Thermostat Housing ... I am getting some hi temps ... 200-215 (water) with the thermostat installed(160) ... Just wondering if you guys are running water Thermostats ? I do think I need to go to a 140* Thermostat so it will open sooner ..

Also ... from the Mocal Website ... was the "high" flow stat available ? It says its new ... I like the idea of the sandwich style ..... SP1T-HF ?

http://64.202.180.37/files/sp1t.pdf

thanks ..mike

Last edited by offthefront; 07-16-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, I am running Stainless Marine crossover with 142* stat. Usually see 150*-155* on a hard run..
Hope that helps.

D*ck
Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered

posting this to renew this thread and get some feedback on Issues .... I am have "too cool" oil temps .... I am running KE external Thermostats .. block to filter to thermosats then to cooler or back to block .... on the water side one motor has no thermotat the other has 142* and both motors pretty much run the same temps .. ~150 ...

Cruise 3-4000K the temps run about 180* ... I have to run HARD for a while to get to 200*. I bypassed the cooler(oil side) on one motor and temps came up to 220-230* ..pretty much they would go up as much as I wanted ... I have talked to KE with not much help ... They say plumbing but I have checked it 5-6 times ... My only solution is to bypass the water side as Mr G has done ... seems with 500.00 in thermostats you would not need too .....m
Old 12-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off,
I am not sure you have a problem. At less 4000 RPM 180 degree oil temp sounds about right, especially if you have a large oil pan. I also see my oil temps with the KE thermo only getting to 215 with extended runs at higher RPM's. Below 4000 rpm, the thermostats may never come into play.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Off,
I am not sure you have a problem. At less 4000 RPM 180 degree oil temp sounds about right, especially if you have a large oil pan. I also see my oil temps with the KE thermo only getting to 215 with extended runs at higher RPM's. Below 4000 rpm, the thermostats may never come into play.
could be ...but I have been told with the Thermostats the temps should come up pretty quickly ...during warmup ..seems the stats would be in Play right off the bat . ie they should stay closed (not allowing oil flow to the cooler or at least limit flow) until 212* ..
I dont mind the 180* ...I do mind the milk on the bottom of the breathers ...The test with the cooler cleared the oil right up .... Maybe the only soulution is a WOT blast at the end of the day ....

Last edited by offthefront; 12-21-2007 at 12:01 PM.