Rip off

Old 03-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rip off

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
pay him 3 months late and see how he likes it
That would be nice if you could do it but they will hold your property hostage till they get payment.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do we tolerate this?

I wonder if a section could exist on this site that was a reference guide. A general area that covered the different major aspects of a boat. I understand that it may cut into some of the advertising revenue for the site, but there must be a way that others don't duplicate mistakes that have cost us in the past.
Customer service changes because it is forced to. Losing a customer base would force a business to rethink their operation if to survive.
Just a thought.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly

I have to disagree with some of you. Businesses run like this will not get my business, nor is it acceptable. I can understand a missunderstanding here or there for a few bucks, but a quote is a quote! You do not go over it unless the paying party understands why and is complete agreement. Otherwise, you eat it as it is your screw up, not the customers.

As for delivery time....3 months past promised date is B as in B and S as in S. Are you telling me a business that has been around awhile can't figure out how long it will take to build and ship what they do for a living?? It is their business, they should know it. Now, if there is a parts supply issue, then be honest with the customer, don't make chit up or not return calls. Tell them the TRUTH and works things out with them.

It is all about customer service. Remember, business would not exist if there were not customers for their product...
Trouty, I agree! I don't think the rest of the businesses in the industry got the "memo" though. They're still using the old cover sheets for their TPS reports.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Banned

My boat has been at a shop since Jan 24th or so for some minor work. I told them I had a drop dead date of tomorrow. I have left him messages and no reply. The boat is 150 miles away. I will go there tomorrow and find out what the hell is going on. I'm bitter!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly

I have to disagree with some of you. Businesses run like this will not get my business, nor is it acceptable. I can understand a missunderstanding here or there for a few bucks, but a quote is a quote! You do not go over it unless the paying party understands why and is complete agreement. Otherwise, you eat it as it is your screw up, not the customers.

As for delivery time....3 months past promised date is B as in B and S as in S. Are you telling me a business that has been around awhile can't figure out how long it will take to build and ship what they do for a living?? It is their business, they should know it. Now, if there is a parts supply issue, then be honest with the customer, don't make chit up or not return calls. Tell them the TRUTH and works things out with them.

It is all about customer service. Remember, business would not exist if there were not customers for their product...
As with most others here, I agree!! A quote is a quote. If the builder (or any other buisiness for that matter) needs more time, then say so up front. It's much better to quote a longer time and then deliver ahead of schedule if possible.

Bottom line is, quote a reasonable time and then MEET IT!!
Period.

As for Wildthing's comment about "getting used to it", I say bull chit! The builders need to get used to delivering on time. We're all paying premium dollar for this sort of work, it should at least get done on time. The "get used to it" attitude just allows them to perpetuate delivery delays. If they have to work a few extra hours at night to get it done, then they should do it. I know in my job I have to.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
As with most others here, I agree!! A quote is a quote. If the builder (or any other buisiness for that matter) needs more time, then say so up front. It's much better to quote a longer time and then deliver ahead of schedule if possible.

Bottom line is, quote a reasonable time and then MEET IT!!
Period.

As for Wildthing's comment about "getting used to it", I say bull chit! The builders need to get used to delivering on time. We're all paying premium dollar for this sort of work, it should at least get done on time. The "get used to it" attitude just allows them to perpetuate delivery delays. If they have to work a few extra hours at night to get it done, then they should do it. I know in my job I have to.
Can I Get an AMEN!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WILDTHING TAZ
All The Motor's I Have Had In Motor Shops Not One Of Have Been On Time. Talking To Other People This Is True With Even The Best Name Builders. I Think You Have To Get Use To This They Will Never Change. Their Always Late, No Matter What They Promise You!
Someday someone will deliver as promised and then some of these people will be out of business as they should be. I am sure they would be a little upset if all their customers paid 3 months late right? I mean fair is fair. break a few promises when they call to collect?

Great way to do business.....unless your on the wrong end of the promises
Old 03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Can I Get an AMEN!!!!!!
AMEN!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As Bering fairly new to OSO I've really seen how tight the members are. I had sometimes at the Miami Boat show as many as 6 to 10 guys from OSO at some times with us at the booth with questions or just stopped in to say hey and I really hate to see this happening to anyone this is part of the reason we try to stay small and take the projects one at a time many guys here can tell you we work hard to get it done it's not easy but you have to do right by the people you do business with specially the people from out of town. When shops get big they tend to loose track of customer service . I'm here to say I work hard everyday to see that doesn't happen here. Good luck to you and I hope the situation works out without anymore trouble Sincerely Laz Mesa
Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happens everyday because we, as consumers LET IT HAPPEN!!!!
Just like we all ***** about politicians and political partys and then vote em back into power anyway. If the contract was not fulfilled, you should have demanded your payment be returned or sued him for breach of contract. Maybe after a few of the abusers get their arses handed to them by a judge,( and they would due to not upholding their side of a written contract but more so because judges seem to hate seeing joe schmo gettin shafted by business) they will clean up their acts but if we as consumers fail to hold their feet to the fire, they will continue to burn us.