Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop? >

Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Notices

Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Old 06-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Boat is a 2000 tall deck with a big bowrider in front. Has 2-454 efi mags with stage 1 prochargers 5lbs of boost. No standoff boxes. Best speed to date has been 97 or 98. It had regular drives, he just installed 2" shorties & did not see a speed increase. With the shorties the center line of the prop is now above the sponson. Has tried some bravo 30, 32, & 34's, & some 5 blades but not sure what ones. Planing on also trying some Hydro 27 5px's The motors are getting tired since they are 5 years old & have had the - - - run out of them. Top speed these days is 93 & looks like no mater what prop is used still same top speed. Only RPM & takeoff changes.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

well I think I am convinced that a 28 eliminator daytona cat with 425 to 500 horse power is not going to reach 100mph on gps (which does noes not lie) is not attainable. So we have to ask our selfs is a solid 95 on GPS is acceptable or are we trying for the impossible of 100gps with no engine up grades attainable? I think that more hp's is the only way to get their and you know what they say if you want to play you have to pay. Whipple's is the only way I see to to go and that would include upgrading the drives so that would co$t about 12K conservatively to get to low 110 with Whipple's and drive upgrades, but 20 mph's is HUGE in high performance boating so we Eliminator Daytona owners are going to have to pay up to play with the big boys or keep trying to find 1-2 mph here and there and still pay big time with no big gains.THE TRUTH SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered

NJ, I think 100GPS is very attainable with 500's, I'll let you know after this weekend with the raised rev limiters. Hell if you believe all the Magazine articles they can do it with 496's.... even in the 33 daytona's Maybe in race form.....Anyway, would love to chat. I'll get with you next week.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:09 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran them on a friends Cig with 575's, got out of the hole great. A lot of bow lift when turning in. Mid range was incredible. Overall I liked them.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Just as JDNCA1 says, Eliminator puts the drives on the 28 in different spots.

I think you will need the rev limited adjusted to get the 500s to the 100 mark. Otherwise it will take 525 to 550 hp to get there on a regular basis.

JDNCA1 - Did your boxes extend into the tunnel? Good luck with your testing. I hope to try my 34s this weekend and David is trying 36s.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:39 AM
Registered

Rbtnt;

After looking again, the boxes did extend into the tunnel about 1/2 inch. Looking forward to seeing what she'll do with the rev limiters bumped with the 30 bravo's. I may try a set of clevers after that which made 33Daytona's boat FLY.....I just don't know if I'll be able to turn them hard enough. My drives are deep enough to get on plane with them...I think.

Good luck with your testing as well, look forward to seeing you all again. Let me know how it goes. Have you thought about running in the tennesseriverrally? It's July 16-17. I ran it last yr and enjoyed it despite the weather being horrible. I'm planning on doing it again and will probably get a few others from Cincy to head down.

Corey

Last edited by jdnca1; 07-07-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Registered

I think if one spent the time 100 with hp 500's should not be a big deal. There are so many set up changes that can be made speed gains of 5-7 mph could be obtained through weight distribution, drive lower selection and height, hull blueprinting, extension boxes, props, etc.
The boats in the Super cat light class attain speeds in excess of 120 regularly with stock, sealed 525's with a minimum weight of 8000#. I would have to believe that a 28 eliminator with the right setup with hp 500's or less could run at 100. It just takes time to get the boat set up just right.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

Todd,

We have the 29 P5X's in stock. There still isn't anything larger available. In your case you could spin the HO motors about 400 higher so the same pitch prop should get you a top end speed of about 94.

Weight in the wrong place can reduce top end speed substantially. Likewise adding weight in the right area can increase speed substantially. Adding just 120# to the bow of a Super V boat we work with increased the top end speed 4 mph. We had another customer who moved 50# from the bow to the transom of a single engine boat and increased top end by 15 mph. These are extreme examples of what effect weight can have but weight in the right place can make a lot of difference!!!

Matt
Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

UPDATE:

Ran 98 gps @5500 with a TON of trim, 30 bravos. 1/4 fuel, hot and sticky with good chop, 3 people. On a cool fall day it has 100 in it. The boat needs shortys BAD, it threw almost no rooster at speed with lots of trim (7-8 on the bluewater) I would say it picked up a couple with the boxes...remember I was hitting the limiters before with the same props but it was just about done. IMO shortys will put another 3 to 5+ on it which will be solidly over the century mark.

Plan to try some hydromotives and maybe some clevers first though.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone is to used to talking just horsepower numbers and props. You need to build the torque levels past the 4200rpm to 4400rpm levels they are probably at in most of your motors now. More torque at higher rpms with the right prop and a decent "x" dimension will let you turn your rpms up and gain that extra spped you are looking for.
Raylar

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.