Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop? >

Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Notices

Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Old 07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

JD I think you have more prop slip now than before because if you are turning 5500 and getting 98 that is about 15% slip. Maybe too much trim. I only trim up to 4 max on the bluewater's. 7 seems way out .
Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered

Dave;

I"m with you on 7 being way too much...but the more I put into it the faster it wanted to go...to a point. If my slip didn't go up, 5500 rpm should have run the number. At 4-5 the boat just didn't want to put up any more speed than 96 so I purposly overtrimmed to try breaking the boat loose then bumped the drives back down. When I went back down to 5-6 it wouldn't put on any more speed than when I was at 7 and actually slowed down when I went back to the 4-5 range. I had almost no roosters even when trimmed to 7.

I think the boat needs shortys as I should not have to trim that much.

My Carrera threw a hell of a rooster with the drive only slightly trimmed (no mechanical indicator, but similar to like a 2 on the bluewater)...the X was very high on it.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

I am going to try trimming my boat out to 7 just to see what it will do. I am awaiting my new lab 30p bravo1 props to see if my rpms can get me above 5050. That is all I could get with stock bravo1's not labbed. My speed was 95 on GPS.I do not have extension boxes so I will let you know what happens trimming it to 7. I looked at the drives with the boat not running and the drives at 7 do not look that far out so maybe you are on to something. It seems like some people here are claiming the same speed with only 496ho's which are 75 less horse's each. So either I am down on power on both of my HP500's or my drives are in a bad spot or my labed props will really make a big difference. Time will tell. I am also going to check my ignition timing to see if it is a little retarded. I have seen that make a big difference.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJDave
I am going to try trimming my boat out to 7 just to see what it will do. I am awaiting my new lab 30p bravo1 props to see if my rpms can get me above 5050. That is all I could get with stock bravo1's not labbed. My speed was 95 on GPS.I do not have extension boxes so I will let you know what happens trimming it to 7. I looked at the drives with the boat not running and the drives at 7 do not look that far out so maybe you are on to something. It seems like some people here are claiming the same speed with only 496ho's which are 75 less horse's each. So either I am down on power on both of my HP500's or my drives are in a bad spot or my labed props will really make a big difference. Time will tell. I am also going to check my ignition timing to see if it is a little retarded. I have seen that make a big difference.
NJDAVE, I'm certain that there's only a 45 hp difference between the HP500 and the 496 HO, 470 vs. 425. I'm a few mph shy of what you're getting for top end with the 496 HO's and stock Bravo 30's.

My drives are on the high side with no boxes, which might explain the close speeds. There are so many variables that could pick up a few mph or drop a few mph and they've all pretty much been laid out in this thread. I've come to the conclusion that it's not all about WOT and top end, that's for racing, ego's and bragging rights.

I think some of us will beat their head against the wall for 2 more mph at WOT and spend immense amounts of money and loose performance in every other area. How often are you at WOT? 2 secs?? It's not worth the worry or the money.

I'm going for the 7 mph gain in the 3500 rpm cruise arena where 90% of boating is done. The more I read, Hydromotive P5X has made this a reality.
Now that's some smart boating!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:12 PM
ccscarab

If you are running a 1.36, and 30 p b-1 @ 5250 you should find these numbers useful.

1.36 30P @5250:

101mph@8% slip

99mph@10%slip

97mph@12% slip

95mph@14% slip

If you have them labbed you should also have them add a little more cup at the outer part of the blade. This should allow you to bring your trim back to normal or at least closer to normal and also get that slip back down. Or try a labbed and maybe slightly clipped 32p. My 0.02.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Registered

Scarab I agree with your numbers. I have a best speed of 95 mph at 5050 rpm
and that equates to 10% Slip. So after the labbing if I get 250 rpms I would be at 5300 rpms and at 10% slip that is 99.6 and I am happy with that as my goal is 100 mph. Harper220 I think you might be wrong. The 496ho's are 425 hp's at the crank shaft and the HP500's are 500 hps at the crank shaft and 470 hps at the Prop shaft. I do not know what the 496 ho's hp's are at the prop shaft but I would guess that the Bravo drive robs 30 hp so you would logically be at 395 hps at the prop shaft. 75 hps per engine at the prop or the crank does not really mater but I agree that 7mph at cruise is allot more practical than 3-5 at WOT. But as you know bragging rights and Egos are still human nature and it feels good to say my boat go's 100MPH.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJDave
Scarab I agree with your numbers. I have a best speed of 95 mph at 5050 rpm
and that equates to 10% Slip. So after the labbing if I get 250 rpms I would be at 5300 rpms and at 10% slip that is 99.6 and I am happy with that as my goal is 100 mph. Harper220 I think you might be wrong. The 496ho's are 425 hp's at the crank shaft and the HP500's are 500 hps at the crank shaft and 470 hps at the Prop shaft. I do not know what the 496 ho's hp's are at the prop shaft but I would guess that the Bravo drive robs 30 hp so you would logically be at 395 hps at the prop shaft. 75 hps per engine at the prop or the crank does not really mater but I agree that 7mph at cruise is allot more practical than 3-5 at WOT. But as you know bragging rights and Egos are still human nature and it feels good to say my boat go's 100MPH.
NJDAVE, I'll put it this way, I know for a fact that the 496 HO's are rated at 425 hp to the prop shaft. This motor replaced the 502 mag mpi in 2000 which was rated at 415 to the prop shaft. The standard 496 is rated at 375 hp at the prop shaft.

Visit:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/496_mag...ut_sd_-_425_hp

I wish my boat would go a hundred, but that's not a reality with 496 HO's and just some prop work. Or, I could tear out all the seats, interior, stereo and low fuel and see what happens? HA!! Maybe next year the aluminum heads by Raylar or superchargers and then some new props.

It would be nice if I could just be satisfied with the way my boat runs now and just enjoy it, but hell no.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Corey,

I was trying to figure out how the boxes could be 2" from the tunnel. Thanks for looking again. This was our first good weekend of running and the 34" props did not work out. They blow out too easy when rolling over and the acceleration above 85 was flat. I guess I will stick to spinning 5800 on the top end.

I have tried changing the weight in mine and it made very little difference. My friend has done the same with his and had the same results. I normally have a futon, tool box, porta pot, tops, 20 lbs of MSD spare parts, cooler and other misc crap in the boat. It runs about the same with or without all this junk and the amount of fuel makes a little difference.

I would love to see you guys in the 28s run triple digits anytime you want on stock power.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered

My port motor went down about 200rpm this past weekend and when I came down to idle there was the dreaded ticking noise from excessive lash. Pulled the valve cover and the #7 exhaust rocker polylock had gotten loose and messed up the threads slightly on the stud. Didn't appear to hurt the rocker or pushrod. With that 200rpm on the port motor, 100 might still be in the cards with the 30's.

Randy, I have a set of labbed 33 Bravo's. If you want to try them sometime let me know. They were faster last yr, but my 500's just didn't have the ass to pull them in the mid range. I think shortys will put me solidly over 100 as my drives are not that high with the boxes.

Last edited by jdnca1; 07-08-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Registered

Harper220 here is the same link to the HP500's

http://www.mercurymarine.com/8226hp500_efi_-_500_hp

this states 500 horse power but it does not specify at the crank or the prop shaft? Just the facts!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Mercury Maximus 5-blade prop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.