Notices

Help I'm in starter He!!

Old 06-30-2004, 09:30 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help I'm in starter He!!

I asked MES Marine, a starter company, about the number of teeth on their starter.
My old starter (10MT) had 11 teeth and the new MES 5399M-HT (mini hi-torque) had 9 teeth. This is suppose to be a direct replacement for the older 10MT. They said the geometry of the new starter ( the relationship between the gear and the mounting bolts) has compensated for the difference in the number of teeth between the two starters. I see the Arcomarine starter mentioned above has 11 teeth. This is also a direct replacement for a 10MT.
Is anyone using the Tilton Severe Duty Marine Starter?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worried about the difference in the number of teeth too!

I just replaced my starter in Merc Big Block ('94 engine).
Old starter was the original style (big/heavy) and had 11 teeth.
New Delco gear reduction starter (smaller/less weight) has 9 teeth.
(Eddie Marine part # 305-15)

WORKS GREAT!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

They make em that spin either way. The "wrong way" is used on a reverse rotation motor OR on a forward mounted application (odd bellhousing).

And I couldn't care less if you want to run an auto starter, but if you've ever had them apart side by side, you'll see that there's a lot more to a marine starter than a USCG stamp.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:52 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dyno
OK I'll try to keep this short, I built a 454 this spring out of parts I bought from off the board gen 4 block a mag crank and rods. merlin heads and a flywheel off a 330. I used the starter off my old 330 and cant make it work...it grinds like a biotch! put on a new ring gear last night and a truck starter same issue. are the combinations of parts that could this where did I go wrong??????help

Are you using the correct starter bolts? Metric or SAE? If you are trying to put a metric starter on a standard block, or if God forbid you are just using 3/8 bolts, you willl have nothing but starter gear meshing problems. The knurled portion of the starter bolt should extend from the starter housing into the engine block approx 1/4". The knurled part should fit snug in the starter with no slop at all.
I like the later model 5.7L truck starters (GM) 1996 and later. These are a small gear reduction starter that are very high torgue. Internally they are the same as a Marine starter. The marine version just has a longer Battery stud and is corrosion treated. These will fit standard or metric applications with the correct starter bolts.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the new gear drive starters metric? I have had a ton of problems using them on a 93 gen5 block. It seems they torque sideways untill the teeth don't mesh and then they grind loud!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:08 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Are the new gear drive starters metric? I have had a ton of problems using them on a 93 gen5 block. It seems they torque sideways untill the teeth don't mesh and then they grind loud!

Yes they are metric, just use metric starter bolts and you will be in business. Metric and SAE bolts both have 3/8 NC threads. The difference is in the shaft diameter of the bolt.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll mic'em and see.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

im having the same problem, small gear reduction grinding every now and then,pulled that biotch off six times, shimed 4 diff waysseems if i tighten tit it looks as it twist on the block why? im buying a new one tomorrow if that dont work i will go with a bigger housing type factory type.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm using the Tilton small size high torque starters....and one is not engaging properly with the flywheel. I'm just going to remove & rebuild it and keep it as a spare and buy a new one. Hopefully, it is as simple as that.

"Help...I'm in starter hell" I should have known for Dyno/Don to come up with that one----too funny!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

Are you using the right (starter) bolts? Yes this sounds silly but I had a guy install a hi-torque starter used some bolts from the local hardware store and they would allow it to move around enough to make the starter grind and not engage. You need the right indexing bolts to keep it from moving around. I have seen this more than once!

Quick Reply: Help I'm in starter He!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.