Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Not getting the speed I should! >

Not getting the speed I should!

Notices

Not getting the speed I should!

Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Not getting the speed I should!

Yes I do know that.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Russ,

I too am experiencing something similar. My 272 used to get really loose when I trimmed all the way up...the bow used to come way up and I used to get alot of air under the boat....much higher speedo speeds too. I did have some issues with the VST tank and I changed the ignition wires and plugs. I also hit something totally destroying my 24 bravo 1. I had it rebuilt and then the boat was 3-4 mph slower.....feels like the boat was "plowing" through the water. I have since purchased a brand new 24 bravo 1 thinking that this was my problem.....boat only 1 mph faster....still cant get the nose out of the water??? I did install a "skeg guard" on the skeg because when I hit ground I took a chunk out of the back side close to the prop. My RPM's are the same but the speed is not...so I too am confused about the Plowing. I was chaulking it up that my engine is getting tired (700hrs) and just doesn't have the torque anymore eventhough I can achieve 4900 rpm with the 24 bravo. I also have a labbed 23 but the engine runs too fast for that prop. I am starting to lean toward the skeg guard???? Or possibly the alignment of the Drive and the engine (from my impact) Other than that everything else is the same unless the engine is just tired?????? Let me know what you figure out.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered

Speedo's are 9 times out of 10 wrong. Mine is about 7 miles an hour off. Did you have the drive taken off? Maybe they fixed the pilot tube for the speedo and now is more accurate? Did you ever GPS it before the accident?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Registered

no, never used GPS....but I know how the boat feels. It used to get very lite and squirrly when I trimmed up....lots of air even on smooth water...now it feels like it is plowing....nose is much lower.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

You might try taking off the skeg gaurd to see what happens. Was your original 24p prop labbed? Did you ever have the drive taken off to have it checked after you hit something? Do you have any WOT pics of your boat running before this happend? And maybe some pics after it happend?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Registered

Russ those #'s seem about right and not too bad. Looks like you could carry the bow a little higher, How are you trimmed? This pic is at only about 45mph running a 24"bravo1.That prop likes alot of trim and carries the bow very high if you want it to, at least on my particular boat.
Attached Thumbnails Not getting the speed I should!-boat.jpg  

Last edited by JUST ONCE; 07-21-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered

Almost to half way on the trim indicator. Going up any more doesn't help. The slip on the Bravo 1 24p is 16%. I've did other calculations on other baja's 232,252,272's. Most are running 3 blades some 4 blades with less slip than that. But I don't know which ones where labbed or not.

One example is 252 Baja with 23P M/P 5050rpms 415HP = 68 GPS thats 7% slip. Don't know if his prop was labbed or not or if he was telling the truth!

I ran a 23P M/P 5400 RPM's to 63 MPH and I'm making more power than a stock 502! But it could of been the prop I tried I don't know.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Registered

Only reason I asked is my 3 blade would slip if overtrimmed, but the bravo1 on my boat will take so much trim its scary before slipping, and thats where I pick up alot of speed. It will actually make a roostertail with a trs drive when trimmed out.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know about the rest of the Baja's but mine's out of the water alot more than yours. I gain speed and lift all the way past half trim. I assume as long as you don't blow the prop out and you're gaining speed keep trimming.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Registered

Kennyo
What engine, RPM's, GPS Speed and prop are you running on your 272? Got any pic's of your boat running at WOT? Do you have any hook on your strakes? Whats your x dimention?

Quick Reply: Not getting the speed I should!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.