Can you have too much oil pressure? >

Can you have too much oil pressure?

Notices

Can you have too much oil pressure?

Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you have too much oil pressure?

70 seams like alot..... I've always used a stock oil pump in the past this time around I put in a HV and the oil pressure almost doubled...I run about 40lbs at an idle with a stck pump and 60+ with the HV does that sound in the ball park????
Old 07-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Just a few observations. Harrisonmirage makes a good point about the potential for distributor gear wear with the heavier oils. In a prior life I ran straight 50W in my BBC race car and chewed up not only the distributor gear but the cam gear on a couple very nice General Kinetics cams. When that happens you get "spark scatter" because the rpm of the distributor shaft is erratic and isn't always firing at exactly the right time. The senders/guages aren't always accurate. Mercruiser provides the boat builders with a manuals package (or did in 98 when my boat was built) for their engines/drives. As I recall,the package for my 800SC's cautions that the guages may be off slightly. The multi-viscosity synthetics today hold up much better than when they first came out (my opinion) and I've got nothing but praise for the 15w-50 Mobil 1 Sterling recommended when they refreshed them in 2000. Some people get scared when they see relatively low oil pressure at idle with BBC's. I'm looking now at the Mercruiser Service Manual. It says you should see a minimum of 30PSI @ 2000 RPM. All you have to do is move off idle to see your oil pressure go up to more than the minimum spec. Maximum is 70PSI @ 2000 . All the big blocks in the manual call for 30-70 @ 2000 RPM. For what it's worth.--Lou
This is especially true if you are runing an exotic roller cam and are required to use the bronze gear to save the cam. Another bad thing about too much oil pressure is that it will open the filter bypass on start up because the filter won't flow the cold heavy oil that fast.

Roby
Old 07-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roby-- You're a good straight man! I was going to add both of those points but figured I'd talked enough. Heavy straight weights when the motors are cold must be handled very carefully in my humble opinion. I was running the bronze gear when I had my problems and was surprised that the cam gear was shot too. As I recall I was running a zero deck height so I had a bit taken off when the block was decked, the heads/intake milled,etc. I even put the shims between the intake and distributor housing to retain the correct position of the two gears to no avail. Straight 50w was just too much I guess. Dyno-just my opinion but I think you'll be just fine. Promise I'll shut up now!--Lou
Old 07-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

I'm running 20-50 Valvoline maybe I'll try some 10-40......
Old 07-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dyno- I think you'll be just fine with the 20-50.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Don, I run the same PSI, I use 15-50 M1, at 19 for 5qts it is a deal at wall mart. I would move to this. The most important thing to do is let the temp come up before you give it any throttle, just idle until you see 140 or so.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Can you have too much oil pressure?

If the oil is too thick and the pressure too high you have less oil volume circulating and the pump is wasting HP trying to pump that molasses around. 15w40 is all you ever need. Synthetic of course. Try Amsoil Marine 15W40. I am using Royal Purple 10w40 and it is still 10w40 at 20 hours after my oil analysis. The 20w50 conventional was down to 5w40 after 20 hours.