Actual Nose Cone Results

Notices

Actual Nose Cone Results

Old 07-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 784 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Actual Nose Cone Results

Anyone out there not running a nose cone on there bravo style outdrive and wonder if they really make a difference? Here are my recent personal observations on my 27 ft baja. 4 years ago when boat was new (and stock) i added a hydromotive nose cone to stock bravo lower,made no real difference at the time (boat went 62-65 mph depending on the load) and gained nothing except a propensity to chine walk more. Over last 4 years boat has been exstensively modified and am currently running 540 w/m-3sc procharger,boat would go 83-85 mph w/28 pitch or 30 pitch bravo 4 blade depending on load/conditions etc. I also have added twin ram imco full hydraulic steering (which expectedly cut chine walking in half). Recently i sheared off max machine worx lower vertical shaft (not to bad mouth them-i abuse the boat and holeshot it from a slow rolling start quite often when racing) plus it had 85-90 hours on it. Instead of losing 2-3 wks of precious Mi boating season while i screw around ordering parts & putting old outdrive back together,i elected to order another outdrive new with all the same upgrades as my old one and then finish repairing mine in spare time. They didn't have a stock lenght lower w/the sportmaster case or one w/any kind of a nose cone close to being ready to ship so i ordered one with stock lower case. The boat now has a top speed of 79.8-81.8 mph depending on conditions&prop and has also lost about 200 rpm's.The chine walking is about 1/2 as bad as it used to be but boat has a new Ill handling characteristic of lifting the transom while decelerating and feels bow heavy ,like there is 300 extra pounds up front digging the vee in!I always wondered if the nose cone actually did anything,now i know for certain and i am installing one on this outdrive soon,Smitty
Old 07-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Actual Nose Cone Results

Hey Smitty,

Do you still have that 3.75(?) 8 rib pulley for sale? If so, send me an email with details as I may be interested in it?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 07-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

results of a nosecone depend on x dim, and whether the boat needs positive trim for speed.

A light outboard of mine lost 4 mph with the addition of a nosecone. That boat ran with the propshaft 1.75 below the pad, 14" behind the pad, and with minimal positive trim.

It isn't a bad idea to try a cone on a temporary basis before going permanent with it.

You can spot weld the cone on, and then bondo it and try it. If it works, then knock it off with a hammer, clean it up, and put it on right. Or if it doesn't work, knock it off for good.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Heatwave,my smallest 8 rib pulley is for a m-3sc and has a rib dia of 3.85 but has a 7/8 dia bore,i think your m-1 has a 3/4 in bore so it won't work,i wish it would because now the 8 rib stuff is just collecting dust,Smitty
Old 07-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the cones on my 30' Sonic and lost over 5 mph and 300 rpm.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where Can You Buy Nose Cones. I Lost One On One Of My Outdrives And Can't Find Anyone Who Sells Them Or Even Knows What They Are>
Old 07-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

CP performance in california sells them and just about every other performance boat supplier,punch in a search for Hydromotive (they sell them) ,Good luck ,Smitty