now wonder my boat is a pig. >

now wonder my boat is a pig.

Notices

now wonder my boat is a pig.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: now wonder my boat is a pig.

I locked my MSD dist in at 34* and run it.. nice idle and good response. The nut that locks it losened up and I saw my timing vary at least 6 degrees. I just put some more washers under the nut and tightened the whole deal. Fired it up and it is steady as can be.. I hope I see 10mph out of mine.. oh yeah, just put a new cam in too. And retuning the fuel injection.. I think I could be close to the 100mph mark.. what do you guys think?? Gotta love those speed gains.. Let us know Just Once how it works out for you!!

Hey Tinkerer. I am getting close to doing the boiler install. I have to have it done before they set the new LP tank.. $.89 gal for the next season.. I will be calling you!!

Dick
Old 07-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here' s the deal, I took it out for a test run and not only did the motor run smootherr midrange but it pulled alot harder. Not sure about top end cause the water was really rough so we couldn't get her topped out. BUT I can't get the damn thing to idle. I think that maybe since its got a pretty big cam, that at an idle when she fires its snaping the weights out so the timing is jumping around. I am going to use the heavier springs and try it again.If I set idle timing at 10-12 it idles fine but @8 it runs like **** and stalls when put in gear.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you put the red bushion in it ? The higher the timming the better it will idle .

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pn8360.pdf

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, silver. Those bushings only set max advance. I want to run 33deg. max so I ran ther silver(25deg.) and set base @8. I was afraid to set the base at 10-12 unless I put in a lower advince bushing like the blue one, cause otherwise I'd be running like 37deg. wot
Old 07-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know the specs on your motor, but my last motor was 515ci, crane 741 cam, carb. I recall using the black bushing, with the lightest springs. Total timing was 35* all in at 2800. Started great and idled at 7-800 in gear w/10-11" of vacuum

Dan
Old 07-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the black bushing set you base timing at 16 and the total will be 34.

If ya call MSD tech they will tell you the higher the base timing the better it will idle.

On my Chevelle I locked the dist. out so the timing is at total all the time . It made alot of difference at Idle and the throttle response Improved

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Justonce,
the bushings dont actually set the total, they set the amount of timing added to the intial. So if you use the Black bushing and add 16* initial = 34*.
Initial plus Advance = Total timing.
16* plus the 18* (black bushing) = 34*
The lighter springs will allow the timing to come all in at a lower rpm. I would use the lightest springs and the black bushing and put 14-16* at intial. It will idle like a kitten and the response will be much better. IF the timing is coming in too soon, you might here some pinging as it accelerates. but I doubt it. I have 10:1 aluminum heads and run 34*, locked in. That means my motor sees the 34* when starting, idling, and all through the rpm range. I run premium 93 octane all the time and it works very nicely. Once in a while it will hesitate when I go to start it, maybe when it is hot. Or the stereo has been on way too long, but you wont have any problems with starting with only 16* on initial timing..

Hope this explains it a little better for you..
Old 07-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just use my timing light to set total timing and not mess with initial. Set the light at 35* ...turn the dist till it zeros out on the balancer at around 3000rpm and lock it down. Check it once and forget it.

Hi Mr G
Not having any cam luck huh? That sucks! Coming down for a visit this year?

Dan