now wonder my boat is a pig.

Notices

now wonder my boat is a pig.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now wonder my boat is a pig.

Msd ign. problem.
Well, I think I found my lost speed. I checked my timing this weekend and is right at 8deg. base, so I run it up to 3500rpm, and still @ 8. no advance at all.??? I'm running a pro billet msd dist. and a 6al box.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: now wonder my boat is a pig.

Get rid of that system and get the D.U.I. ignition system. You won't be sorry!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a simple fix. For some reason the advance weights are not swinging out. Probably corrosion. Clean and lubricate and you should be good.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Should be a simple fix. For some reason the advance weights are not swinging out. Probably corrosion. Clean and lubricate and you should be good.
I wish, pro billet dist. nothing mech. all electronic. Just a p/u wheel in the dist. with 2 wires leading to the 6al box. It must control all advance in the box. What I need it the wiring schematic for the 6al setup to seeif something isn't hooked up correctly.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

You said there isn't any mechanical advance. It is normally located under the Rotor. If you still have the distributor in the engine try turning the rotor by hand. It should move around 20 degrees and spring back to place. If the distributor out of the motor then hold the distributor gear and try turning the rotor. MSD makes timing locked out distributors and the billet ones normally come with a lockout plate. The MSD 6AL box does not have any timing advance function in it. It is just a spark enhancer. With a locked out distributor you use a timing controller. It would be placed inline between the distributor and the 6AL box. If the distributor has a lockout plate you can get replacement spring and advance plates from MSD, Moroso, Accel, etc.

As for the wiring diagrams they can be found at http://www.msdignition.com/

Hope this helps...

Bryan
Old 07-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Bryan, thanks very much, I spoke with MSD a little bit ago and thats what they said too. I had no Idea how the satup worked never having dealt with this style ign. before. That means that as long as I've owned my boat its run on base timing. I can't wait to see what kind of perf. diff I gain with proper timing. Here's a pic of the dist. I took today. It does look like the style your talking about.

Last edited by JUST ONCE; 07-12-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Registered

Attached Thumbnails now wonder my boat is a pig.-msd.jpg  
Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered

That looks like a normal distributor with Advance (minus a few parts). The smaller plate that has the two closest posts is welded to the shaft. The plate directly below it (where the rotor screws to) normally can rotate around 20 degrees. The four posts hold the springs and the advance weights mount on the outer posts and float on the larger diameter pads on the lower plate. If your lower plate doesn't move then there should be a nut screwed under it connected to bottom of one of the inner posts. If you take this out there should be a spacer that is keeping the plate from moving. MSD will send you new spacers to limit the max advance with the advance weights and springs.

As for performance gains, if the static timing was 8 degrees and you had no advance, well hold on... An additional 22-24 degrees of timing will make you really like that boat.

Bryan
Old 07-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Registered

I feel like a kid on christmas Eve, Just called MSD and they are sending me everything to switch it back(great service from MSD. Bryan, thanks again. And yet again the power of OSO saves the day.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Registered

Wow 8 deg to 24 - 32, I'll bet the next Question will be, what prop to use!

Quick Reply: now wonder my boat is a pig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.