Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ran engine w/o valve covers, much to my dismay minimal oil coming from rockers... >

Ran engine w/o valve covers, much to my dismay minimal oil coming from rockers...

Notices

Ran engine w/o valve covers, much to my dismay minimal oil coming from rockers...

Old 07-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ran engine w/o valve covers, much to my dismay minimal oil coming from rockers...

I would do a compression check and/or leak test with valves as set and rockers backed off. From my experience bbc valve lash setting is quite forgiving. I think there may be something else going on. Don't worry about the oil flow to the top until it becomes a problem.

BT
Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: Ran engine w/o valve covers, much to my dismay minimal oil coming from rockers...

Hmmm, mine squirts oil pretty good, enough to make a mess. How big of holes were drilled into the 2 front galley plugs that oil the timing chain? Bearing clearances? Checked the oil lines to make sure they are right? Ive seen people connect the filter block backwards. Just some ideas to check.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formula31
Hmmm, mine squirts oil pretty good, enough to make a mess. How big of holes were drilled into the 2 front galley plugs that oil the timing chain? Bearing clearances? Checked the oil lines to make sure they are right? Ive seen people connect the filter block backwards. Just some ideas to check.

If I rev mine to 2000 without valve covers on, it'll throw oil all over the engine. Where are you taking oil pressure reading from, engine or remote filter. I would also check hose routing. It sounds like an oil pressure problem to me.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Formula31- Do you mean the 1/8" pipe plugs behind the upper timing chain gear? This is from memory of course but I believe there were three pipe plugs there. Two 1/8" and one 1/4"? The three 1/8" galley plugs are in. There are no oil lines connected unless it becomes necessary. Bearing clearances are stock since this is a brand new short block. This puppy has been installed in my shop truck for break-in purposes. (which I have no regrets of doing now!)

PatriYacht- Oil pressure reading is being taken from the 'back of the block', just behind the dist.

Reading both of your experiences with the generous oil pumping through your rockers I too believe this is a pressure problem. I'll cut the oil filter open tonight or hopefully sooner if I can swing it, maybe it holds some clues. At the same time I'll check the filter bypass, maybe it's being held open by some kife? I'm thinking (given the situ) the oil pressure guage can read 'normal' while still not delivering the required pressure/ volume to the valvetrain. Am I correct or is that an impossibility?

Thanks for now all!

Brian
Old 07-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered

The purpose of the .062" holes in the front galley plugs is to provide lube to the backside of the cam sprocket. This was a wear point early on in the bbc offering. With no holes the result would be wear on the back of the sprocket, not desireable but not your problem. If the plugs were missing you would get the result you have with the lifters/oil flow, but your oil pressure gage would show low.

On a different thought regarding the clattering sound, did you check your valve to piston clearances during assembly?

BT
Old 07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Insufficient lifter to bore clearance will do the same thing.

Only oil the end lifters and not let any or enough by for the other lifters.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Infomaniac-- I'll be the first to publicly show my ignorance by stating that I don't understand how insufficient lifter to bore clearance will adversely affect valve train oiling. Whether it's a flat or roller lifter and either solid or hydraulic, the lifter is necked down in the area of the oil hole in the side of the lifter. I thought the lifters get oiled when oil runs down the two oil galleries on each side of the cam and as the lifter passes by the oil gallery, the oil goes in the side of the lifter? OK guys, I'm ready for a public humiliation! Not really, but there's a wealth of knowledge on this site and I just want to learn. Lou
Old 07-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Blue Thunder- I'm positive that the 'clattering' was/is the rocker arms. I used a stethoscope to set each one so I was 'in tune' with the process. To answer your question though, I didn't check the valve to piston clearance since the shortblock is new and my Merlins have never been shaved. (and using a relatively tame camshaft)

Infomaniac- all of the bores are 'tight'

UPDATE- I've cut open the oil filter which held no clues whatsoever. The bypass valve was also clear of any debris. I'm going to check around some more...

...all ideas are welcome guys! Thanks again.

Brian
Old 07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Registered

This is pushing my memory but I remember an engine that had the same problem, at least on one side for sure. It turned out to be the distributor. The groove around the bottom was machined wrong and allowed the lifter galley oil to dump instead of going around the distributor and feeding the lifters. Oil pressure was fine but it kept wiping out rockers. Is the problem on both sides? You might want to pull the dist and do some measuring.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Registered

My question martini has to do more with cam timing than anything. If the cam is not degreed in properly you could get valves hitting pistons which sounds exactly like lifter noise. Hope it is not that, just trying to help you get it running Like I said before, I would not worry about oil flow right now, get it running smooth first. Leak/comp test would be wise.

The thoroughly correct way to set valves on a bbc is to tighten the pushrod down (using an idicator) .045 from zero preload. That should center the plunger in the lifter and eliminate valve lash as an issue. This is unless you have defective lifters. Defective ligters you should be able to diagnose using a priming tool (autozone rents for free) and removing lifters in pairs starting from the back of the engine and moving forward. Look for flow.

If any or all of this info is useless then, never-mind

BT

Quick Reply: Ran engine w/o valve covers, much to my dismay minimal oil coming from rockers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.