Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
questions on electric brakes >

questions on electric brakes

Notices

questions on electric brakes

Old 07-26-2004, 02:51 PM
ncdiver2

Default questions on electric brakes

ok here goes i have 99 2500 series dodge ram with tow package factory installed and want to add electric bkes to cox boat trailer with 3 year old dexter axelI have been told that the "kit" from local trailer place includes all parts and nothing else is needed except insure i have tow package local dodge dealer says all is well it was installed at factory round 7 pin at rear of truck.Brake kit does not have actuator just wire to 7 pin(included)i have been told these brakes work like surge brakes ? what activates the brakes?
which pin? Do they work off truck brake lights or what?Neither trailer place or dodge guy could really tell me what i wanted to know any help?

Old 07-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: questions on electric brakes

Sounds like you need an electric brake controller. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy and it rocks. It's basically a pendulum sensor within an under dash mounted device with controls that sends a varying signal to the brake wire. The signal varies based upon the deceleration of the truck acting on the pendulum. I got mine from etrailer.com.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto's on the Prodigy!!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 162 Likes on 63 Posts

Ditto's on the ditto's. I have a prodigy in my new truck and is is hands down the best controller I have ever had.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

I have had a 1995, 1998, 1999 Dodge ram 1500 with towing package. All of them had the 4 wires required to hook up the electric brakes under the dash. Real easy job to wire them up.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Triple ditto!!! The Podegy plugs in behind the dash, simple install. Don't know if your truck has it. The trailer plug cover (on the truck) may be labelled for each prong. After hrs. of trying to figure mine out, I looked at the cover and it was all right there!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

i gotta question to add..i'm looking at putting electric brakes on my boat trailer as well...i found one company that sells sealed units designed to be submerged (sharkskin i believe they were called), my question is, do you have to use these, or can you still use just the regular electric units designed for any old trailer?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Registered

Do you have a web site for these units ...... I will check them out and let you know.

You can go with eletric/Hyd system on your current trailer with brakes. THe usnits can be purchased through any larger trailer supplier. They are expensive and require brake lines in perfect condition due to the 1500 psi high end pressure.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:46 PM
rookie_j

did you get a plug in adapter (usually in the glove box) for the electric brake actuator??? if not ask the dealer which one you need..

ditto X 4 on the Tekonsha