Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
SSM #3 Parts?? >

SSM #3 Parts??

Notices

SSM #3 Parts??

Old 08-01-2004, 07:15 PM
jonesj

Default SSM #3 Parts??

I am looking at a boat with older #3 drives on it and I know they do not make parts for these drives any more. My question is how hard is it to find parts if a drive breaks? I have also heard that the props are hard to come by and very expensive when you find them, is this true?
Thanks,
James

Old 05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Talking Re: SSM #3 Parts??

I would also like to know what the availability of parts for SSM #3 parts. I am looking at 3 boats, 2 of them have ssm#3 and one has TRS. Need the pros and cons. I know about the new konrads, but initially, what would you buy. Naturally aspirated motors on all 3 between 600-700hp
Old 05-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SSM #3 Parts??

Mel Riggs in near Fon du Lac WI rebuilds 3 and 3A drives and he did a 3A for me without any parts issues. It WAS reall pricey though.
I think there are several other shops such as Doller Offshore doing them too. I can't recall anyone saying there was a parts delivery issue lately.
The Konrad drive setup is probably the most cost-effective way to beef up a TRS boat, and there are a few guys doing that upgrade right now, like Mr Cig in Chicago and Biggus out in Maine.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely would shy away from a 700 hp TRS setup, but that makes for easy Konrad conversion. Parts availability on the SSMIII is not great, but not as bad as some folks make it out to be. There are always used drives in good shape around, and some of the parts are available online. If worse comes to worse, you can swap a IIIA onto the III bellhousing without much difficulty. The weak point on the III's were the trim pins. I figured out that it's pretty easy to retrofit them with IIIA trim pins and they're better than new. A properly built III won't break at 700 hp for a long time, but it is not a terribly efficient drive either. The majority of your prop selection consists of 3-blade cleavers which are $$$ and don't grab well in the midrange.

Given the choice and 700 hp, your best bet would be a Konrad with a warranty. If the price is right, get the III.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Some great information. The boats are competetively priced. The TRS are new rebuilds with only 20hrs from a good drive shop with recipts. The #3's I am unsure of. That's why I am looking at opionions.