Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger or Whipple ? >

Procharger or Whipple ?

Notices

Procharger or Whipple ?

Old 08-03-2004, 04:25 PM
bajaboy2004

Default Procharger or Whipple ?

Ive got a 2000 Baja 272 boss with a 454 mag. I had a cheap gps out one day and hit 68.9 mph, im lookin for more speed, is a procharger or a whipple better and does anyone know where i can find a cheap used one?

Old 08-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Procharger or Whipple ?

E-BAY,especially off season. 5 months ago i seen a system identical to mine (procharger m-3 self contained for 1/3 of what i paid). I also have a 2000 boss 272 ,68.9 is REALLY fast for a 454 mag,what have you done to it so far? Numerous props and experimentation never broke 66 mph with mine (when it was still stock) and that was with 502! PILES of cash later i can go 85.1 (highest speed ever),83 with 4 people any day of week. In retrospect i would have sold this boat and started with a more performance style boat with twins (it's never just a supercharger,its outdrives,hyd steering,oil systems,fuel sytems etc). As far as whipplecharger vs. procharger,i chose procharger because i was counting on tech support from local dealer. The blower itself has been problem free and as far as "lack of low end torque" from centrifugal style,i already have more lowend then i can dare to use. The associated equipment(fuel pump,regulators,hoses etc) that came with kit has all been replaced 1 piece at a time,i would rate the quality at mediocre at best. As far as whipplecharger,i don't know anyone running them but tyler crocket marine in ruby michigan can answer any questions,he installs them all the time,p.m me if you have any specific questions about your boat and setting it up and i'll p.m you back with my phone #,i have spent last 4 years doing to my boat what you are getting ready to do to yours,Smitty
Old 08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Re: Procharger or Whipple ?

Damn, he's going to do a 100mph with a procharger. Seriously, how much do you want for the gps. Just messing with ya,lol. Procharging is the only way to go. Good luck and keep us informed,us little boats have to stick together.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:49 PM
bajaboy2004

The only thing i have done is put straight pipes on it, i took the quick and quiet off and just put to pieces of pipe in, the garmin gps said 68 it was fairly rough water and the altitude probley had a lot to do with it, im running a 23p mirage prop, i dont have piles of cash laying around i just need sum speed, i think with a mixture of procharger and the right prop i could get 85, i have a friend, same boat 2 years older got 93 mph on the river with his, he had a stock 454 mag carburated bored it out did some engine work and put a procharger on it 93mph.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

call mark at PRECISION MARINE 504 469 7463. he does both systems and will take the time to talk to you and answer ???'s you may have.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Do you know what your friends setup was(boost,prop etc)? I'D like to know,540 w/9 psi boost best of 85.1 and i have TRIED Alot of stuff,i'm sure Kenyo would like to know too,85 mph won't come easy with a 454! Your going to need almost 750 hp to do it (and headers,props,spare outdrives,etc),I know from personal experience! Let us know,Smitty!
Old 08-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey bajaboy2004,

Good luck with reaching 85 with that hull. My advice is if you want to go real fast start by researching different hulls.
I know someone with a 272 454 Mag / whipple and he's lucky if he's going 75. Higher altitude will further reduce performance. Listen to what Articfriends is saying.

Dave M.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 PM
bajaboy2004

Ill give him a call and figure out his setup and get back to u.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Whipple on my 502Mag, and I am very happy with it.

Click on the red TWISTED for pics.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your going to get all mixed answers, both are good but it's like cars some will only buy Chevys some Fords other Doges, oops I mean Dodges. I perfer the Whipple, it installes easily and straight forward and Dustin and the crew are top notch, hell they even made me a custom manifold for the then new Dart Pro One heads no extra charge! but again I'm partial because thats what I run, 750hp 383 sbc.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger or Whipple ?-aeroengine.jpg  

Quick Reply: Procharger or Whipple ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.