Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Boat security alarms >

Boat security alarms

Notices

Boat security alarms

Old 08-20-2004, 02:59 PM
baja2700

Default Re: Boat security alarms

Sounds to me... like you need to spend more time boating and less time working!!!! Like I said plasma is the best today but as a design engineer I have to look down the road 1 to 2 years and start tooling for future generations of products. Since everything I do is 12 volt I don't have to be concerned with plasma. Its too power hungry and radiates too much heat for cars and marine use. So everything I do is LCD and even in my home its LCD. I have a prototype organic 40" LCD thats very good. When I tested it in asia on the PAL system it looked very close to plasma. On the NTSC system it looks about 15% lower in picture quality. Thats one of the problems with NTSC vrs PAL. OK 2pm in L.A. and the ocean is calling me. Its time to reinstall the alternator ( had to replace the regulator) and go out wave bashing!!! C ya!

Old 08-21-2004, 06:15 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I present you you beta vs VHS Beta was far superior but guess what we are/were watching......
Old 08-22-2004, 06:28 PM
baja2700

Beta was better but Sony would not license it so we settled for VHS. BIG MISTAKE ON THEIR PART! By the way now were watching DVD. I need to replace the belts in my VCR but I don't have the time plus I am too expensive and would end up over chargeing myself.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing marine audio for years now, I have devised a system that is simple yet affective. I use a Phython model 460 with a dual stage proximity system. My only 2 zones are the prox and a mag or pin switch on the cabin door. The prox has two zones an inner and outter. Set the outter zone so it expands right up to the perimeter of the boat. This is the "war away" trigger zone(the siren just chirps). Set the inner zone to where it is triggered only by actually getting on to the boat itself. By doing this you deter the system from falsing, but being affectve in the interior. If someone goes for the cabin door, it has an instant door trigger that sounds the siren. The system comes with two remotes and has a manufacturers lifetime warranty. The siren is very small and should be easily installed firing out of a side vent in the upper bilge area. Everything is 12 volts on this system.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad were back on the subject. I took an old Black Widow alarm and wired a new Doppler or proxy detector to it. I haven't installed it yet but, I have bench tested the sensitivity of it. It seems to be very adjustable. I'm not really concerned about anything out of the ordinary in setting it up except the boat cover. I plan to install it low and beneath the back seat (the first place they will enter). I am hoping that the overhang of the seat will keep it from false sensing the cover blowing in the wind. This thing worked real well on the bench so, I think it may just do the trick.

I can tell you out of my own experience that the cheapest and easiest thing to do is install a 12 volt blinking LED and Warning sticker on the cabin door. It worked for me. They pulled my cover back and must of seen the warning sign and LED and went no further!

I've got bigger problems right now or else I would go ahead and install this and let you know how it worked.

BTW: I bought the LED and Detector from http://www.partsexpress.com

Bob