Outdrive trim pumps >

Outdrive trim pumps

Notices

Outdrive trim pumps

Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive trim pumps

The current speedmaster configuration I'm putting back together consists of one Prestolite pump and one Oildyne pump. That is the way the boat came. I just had the pumps checked out of the boat and they are within pressure limits, but neither pump system has an external "reverse lock" valve. The hydo lines run right to the gimbal housing. Would either or both of these have an internal valves for this purpose? And if so how would I verify this. I don't want to do any damage to the system in a hard reversing condition. I have no idea which pump was the original configuration, although by a visual condition I would say the Prestolite is the original pump. Second, does the Prestolite pump offer any performance advantages? By the Merc manual, it puts out over 1000 additional psi verses the Oildyne style pump. Is more better in this case? Thanks for the help.

Jim
Old 08-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Outdrive trim pumps

I think you're going to find the lower pressure pump has problems lifting a SSM III - V when running. Very slow. I had to upgrade from TRS to SSM pumps.
No sure about the reverse lock, never had one.
Gary
Old 08-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: Outdrive trim pumps

I guess I should have read a little farther in the manual. Two styles of Oildyne pumps. One low pressure/high volume, one high pressure/std volume. The one I have is the high pressure(3600+-200psi) unit, which is still a little lower than the Prestolite(4200+-300psi). Any opinions on either type one way or the other? Still concerned about the lack of a reverse lock valve on the side with the Prestolite pump. Anyone running this pump without the reverse lock?

Jim