how much trim? >

how much trim?

Notices

how much trim?

Old 08-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much trim?

I was talking with a fellow OSOer the other day about how much trim my boat will take. If I run with the tabs all the way up with my 24foot excalibur BBC trs & 24 bravo 4blade I can keep trimming the boat until it is completely out of control with out the prop blowing out or slipping.It will litterally carry the bow too high to see Is this normal for a deep X dim. setup like this or do I need more weight out front? I just feel like I could get more speed out of it if I could trim it out more but keep it flat.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:07 PM
HeavyChevSS

Default Re: how much trim?

Ummm not to be a wise guy but why not trim it up less, stop trimming up when speed stops increasing and while still solidly in control.?
Rick

Old 08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Registered

ya, thanks I know I just find it odd. every other boat i've driven has a sweet spot, then prop lets go if you trim farther. I just think its wierd, wondering if enyone else has experienced this.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
jhnrckr

Talk to Darren at Houston Prop.

Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 PM
HeavyChevSS

Have you tried a 3 Blade prop like the Mirage? maybe 4 blade has too much bite?

Old 08-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I've owned some wild little outboards that you could just about trim over backwards if you wanted to. Usually means your drive is too deep for max speed. Easy to fix on an outboard.

You should be able to watch your GPS and find the best trim angle for speed with your current setup. Everybody's goal is to have best speed at neutral trim. That shows your center of gravity, thrust line, and boat lift are optimized at that point. Neutral trim lets all thrust go towards pushing you forwards.

My guess is that you might gain speed with a sternlifting prop like a Hydromotive.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Registered

In those early days of the TRS, most or them came with cleaver props which have lots of stern lift and the "X" dimension was very conservative (low) by today's standards. Mc's Hydromotive sternlifter suggestion is probably the least expensive next step. --- JP
Old 08-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

cool, I have a 3 blade mirage that Darin worked for me that trims more like a normal setup and gives me better top end, but I like the way the 4 blade bites in the ruff stuff.