Austin, TX  Mechanic >

Austin, TX Mechanic

Notices

Austin, TX Mechanic

Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Austin, TX Mechanic

I cant say I've used every mechanic in Austin, but when doing it yourself you know EXACTLY how it was done. No suprises. It just seems that it's tough to find a good mechanic that you can trust. Just my perspective.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't argue with than Formula78. (BTW is that for 1978 Formula?) If I have the time, knowledge and patience to tackle a job myself I will. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But, I do think that you could trust Bob at Full Throttle, Bruce at Custom Boats or Brian at SAM. Just my $.02.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

I'd go to Lake Travis this weekend if someone will take me, the Formula is still in the state of Blown Up.

And yes it's a 1978 Formula. EEk!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered

Hey mine's an '85 so it's not that much newer. My biggest worry is about rot, old 'glass, old equipment, etc. I know that Formulas are built well. But, I am wondering what their potential life span really is.

Are you from Austin? I trailer back and forth from San Antonio.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

yup, I'm in Austin. I have my boat in a warehouse in South Austin right now. I dont blame you for trailering to Lake Travis, It's a great lake. Have you been on Canyon Lake? I hear it's nice. I dont think you have to worry much about rot. If mine has no rot in it, you should be fine. I had 6 inches of wet leaves in the cockpit when I found it and decided to save her.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I'll make a point of stopping by and saying hello. My opinions regarding mechanics in Austin are based upon experience as well as experience of others and in some cases casual conversations with some of the folks mentioned in other posts and walking away wanting to check for my wallet and wash my hands. I'd be glad to know someone that I could recommend to others.

I'm lucky that my Dad got me started doing the maintenance on our cars and boats (in salt water) when I was a kid. Now, short of alignments or A/C work on the truck, and perhaps machining blocks and heads, I just do it all myself from troubleshooting whatever seems to be wrong, wiring, welding, fiberglass, whatever. If my engineering firm ever dries up I'll probably open a shop and build choppers, those guys seems to be able to do most things wrong and still have customers.

For those of you going to Lake T this weekend, call me on my cell (PM me for the number). I've got one more throttle cable bracket to fabricate for my new 1976 Cig 28SS and I should be afloat. I'd look forward to meeting some of you guys with the older boats as well.
Attached Thumbnails Austin, TX  Mechanic-cigstarboard.jpg  
Old 08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey JonJan,

I've got a 28 Cig here one of my customers just bought in Louisianna. Don't know if anyones familiar with the boat. It is burnt orange and has 454's with TRS. It looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. Supposedly it is all original with just over 200 hrs. on it. If you get out this way in the next week or so stop by and check it out.

Bob
Old 08-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

Bob - I'd like to stop by and visit with you a little about a game plan for my F-357. I know that John was really happy with your work on his F-272. Are you actually on or near the water? Can you get there by boat or only by car?

Formula78 - Travis rocks. I have never put my boat on Canyon Lake. They'd probably throw me off for being so loud. Plus I'd be worried about hitting a stump, tree or smething. I've heard there is a lot of that on Canyon Lake.

JohnJan - Nice looking Cig.

I'm going to Travis Fri AM. Probably splash the boat in early afternoon. Probably just me and the wife for the weekend. If anyone's interested in meeting for a drink at Johnny Finns, or CnCs, etc. then give us a call. My cell is 210-887-1766.

Take Care,

Brent
Old 08-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brent, my shop is on Hwy 71, about 8 miles east of 281. I live on the water right at mile marker 49. If you want to come up by boat some time I'd be glad to meet you at my dock. But, a lot of gas to just run up there from the other end of the lake(nice ride though). Why don't you just come out 281 when you head to Lake Travis and swing by the shop on the way?

John broke a drive on his 272 Monday. Now he's talking about upgrading to Bravos and putting superchargers on it. I think he's decided to just forego the rest of the summer instead of waisting money on an Alpha drive and do the whole deal over the winter.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 PM
Registered

Thanks Bob

John's 272 will be a screamer with some blowers and bravos. There is another 272 that has hit 93 mph. He has posted a few times in the Formula owner's thread. That may be the practical limit for that 272 hull with the hooked hull.

I keep my boat just off of 35 so it's kind of out of the way to go up 281 with 5 tons of boat in tow. I stay near Lakeway so once I drop the boat off coming over via car is not that far. Or, I wouldn't mind taking the trip via boat sometime either. As long as I watch the boost gauges and keep them at 0 (about 45-50 mph) it's not that bad on the gas. I'm not real familiar with Travis so I don't know where mile marker 49 is. I have been wanting to take a trip up to the other end of the lake anyway and I have been looking for a good map of Travis but haven't found anything. If you're familiar with Grand Lake they just published the first set of charts for it and it is great. Check this out: http://www.grandchartbook.com It would sure be nice to have something similar for Lake Travis.

I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend as I have some friends coming into town but I'd definitely like to visit with you in the near future. What is the best place to reach you? (830) 693-5591 or is there another number?

Thanks again,

Brent

Quick Reply: Austin, TX Mechanic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.