Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Electric over hydraulic brakes???!!! >

Electric over hydraulic brakes???!!!

Notices

Electric over hydraulic brakes???!!!

Old 08-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric over hydraulic brakes???!!!

Alright, I have an 01' Eagle trailer with the Carlisle Elec. over Hyd. brakes. Have changed all wheel assemblies, and still no brakes. I hear everyone rant and rave about these setups. Any advice on what to do next to get this working. I just recently returned from a 1000mile round trip to LOTO and back with.....NO BRAKES! I didn't realize how heavy a 382 was until I didn't have any trailer brakes helping stop it.
I know its not about a boat specifically, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
Corey
Old 08-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Electric over hydraulic brakes???!!!

Can you hear it buzzing when it is all hooked up and the brake petal depressed, if so then the motor is trying to pump the brake fluid. If not the something is wrong in the wiring to the actuator. Give me more info, and i will try to help.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Sometimes I hear the noise, other times I don't. I should have added, that every now and then the brakes will grab. I think I am going to replace the Carlisle unit and see if that fixes the problems. Is it the entire unit that fails or the solenoid mounted externally on the box? Once again, thanks for the help!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Registered

On the one I had, the noise could be heard when parked and the brake applied. It was a constant noise coming from I understand a motor that provides the pressure to the brakes. If you put on the brake and no noise, check the wiring. You should be able to connect a direct 12 volt source to the trailer plug and see if the motor makes noise. The way mine is wired is that it has a constant 12 volt source to the actuator, and a variable source from the electric brake controller in the truck. The variable source tells the actuator how strong to make the pressure, ie how strong the motor pumps. I would think that if you applied 12 volts from a good source, use a test light to see if the accessory circuit on the trucks female plug is working, to both wires on the trailer plug the motor should be heard. I know those units are not cheap, starting at $600, and up from there. If you try this and the motor works, it is in the truck wiring, if not then try it at the actuator. It could be many other problems. Check to make sure th actuator is properly grounded. Also check that the break away switch is working. This is a simple circuit that is opened when the cable is pulled and the switch pulled out.If it is still not making noise then the actuator is probably toast.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tips, I never even thought to check and see if I had good ground. I would think that could definitely have something to do with intermitten operation. Now I have a list to go check before I bite the bullet