Notices

Alignment

Old 08-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

Sometime in the next week I will be dropping my new 496 Motor.
One questions.. After the new motor is in, and the new Outdrive is bolted on, will I need to bring the boat in for an engine alignment? Anyway one can do this themselves?

Also, going from a Bravo I to a Bravo XR, does one need to change the Gimbal bearing?

John
Old 08-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Alignment

John,
You should always check the alignment, you can purchase the tool. Do a search on alignment and you will get more info than you want. Your Merc dealer should have a PN for the XR conversion. You may need a new Gimbal bearing and seal, the one with the red dot. You also need to install a limiter in the trim rams to prevent the u-joints from possibly getting into a bind. Merc has a service bulletin on what needs done, your Merc dealer should be able to get this for you. Maybe someone has the PN and Bulletin?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to align the engine BEFORE you attempt to bolt on the drive.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

You definately want to check the alignment after installing new motor before putting drive on. You should also use the new "575 xr style coupler" if your old coupler isn't like brand new. It's snout is much longer and its actually easier to get a good alignment on it because the alignment tool will bind easier in it if its out of alignment. It also supports the input shaft real well taking some stress off the splines. Bad dog is correct about the red dot on gimball bearing. Getting the heavy duty xr input shaft and u-joints thru the bellows is a real pain too because there is so little clearence,if you can't get it to go right in and have to pull it back to try again make sure you don't pull the bellows retainer out of gimbal housing (the u-joints and swivel between them catches it easy),Smitty