Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Port Motor Won't Rev Past 2K RPM? >

Port Motor Won't Rev Past 2K RPM?

Notices

Port Motor Won't Rev Past 2K RPM?

Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Port Motor Won't Rev Past 2K RPM?

350's & Alpha's. Starboard side is fine. Port side will start, idle and rev to redline in neutral with no problems. Will rev to 3K and hold fine in neutral (I didn't want to hold it at any higher RPM's than 3K in neutral). When in gear, under power will only rev to 2000 RPM's then starts to bog and sputter. Below 2000 RPMs it seams to be fine and pulls strong. If I put it back in neutral it is fine, just won't go in gear. I didn't try it in reverse as I've been told Alphas don't like high RPM's in reverse. Any ideas?

Last edited by Baja Fresh; 08-25-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:18 PM
micky dee

Default Re: Port Motor Won't Rev Past 2K RPM?

check water fuel seperator, it could be full of water! w had this problem and found out that the seperator was contaminated with h2o.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:23 PM
micky dee

also check and or replace the small fuel filter in the carb. this could be plugged causing a restriction in fuel flow! starving the engine of fuel.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Registered

Thanks, Micky Dee. I'll check both.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bro I Am Going Through The Same Problem With My Bajas 454 Merc . She Revs Good In Neutral, But Under Load Nothing Past 2200 Rpms. These Are The Things I Did In This Order...changed Fuel/water Seperator Filter, New Plugs And Wires, New Ignition Coil, And Now Having The Carb Rebuilt. I'll Let You Know If That Solves The Problem. I'll Keep Checking To See What You Come Up With. Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Can you narrow it down to be either fuel, spark, or compression? This would greatly help in solving the problem.

Good luck,
Jack
Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAPTCHUCKV
Hey Bro I Am Going Through The Same Problem With My Bajas 454 Merc . She Revs Good In Neutral, But Under Load Nothing Past 2200 Rpms. These Are The Things I Did In This Order...changed Fuel/water Seperator Filter, New Plugs And Wires, New Ignition Coil, And Now Having The Carb Rebuilt. I'll Let You Know If That Solves The Problem. I'll Keep Checking To See What You Come Up With. Good Luck.
My carbs were just rebuilt and rest should be okay but certain. I will change fuel filters / H2O seperators today and see what she does. I'm still thinking is has something to do with the drive as it runs fine in neutral and in gear up to 2K rpms she pulls pretty strong. Maybe a bearing or alignment?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered

I had a similar problem.
After changing filters, and before tearing into carbs or anything else, hook up a small external tank to the fuel pump, and see if the problem goes away. This will either point to, or eliminate the fuel tank/pickup/vent from the possible list of causes. My boat died at about 2000rpm, but idled fine. Changed pump and filters... no help. Then while I was out, and the engine died, I switched to a 6 gallon portable tank right at the filter inlet (before the pump). Problem went away, and boat flew. Turned out to be a bad anti-siphon valve on the tank.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Registered

(Don't mean to hijack)

Hey Lib... my problem was the cable. Thanks for the help.

(We now resume helping Baja Fresh)
Old 08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WARNING, WARNING Will Robinson

Low Fuel Pressure, Low Fuel Pressure

Quick Reply: Port Motor Won't Rev Past 2K RPM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.