Motor running too COLD?!

Notices

Motor running too COLD?!

Old 08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Motor running too COLD?!

Originally Posted by 28SS
Maybe thermostat staying is staying open.
This dosn't give block enough time to heat water in block
cause water pressure moving water through block to fast.
This also could also cause oil temp to rise
No offense 28SS but I have heard this myth (as I call it) for 20 years now. No one has even proven to me that keeping the water in the block longer improves it's absorbing or cooling capabilities. If you keep the air out of a block then the greater water flow and cool side capacity the better.

Roby
Old 08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Registered

There is nothing in the world that would improve water's ability to transfer heat

My point is engine water temp will drop if water runs though block unrestricted!

Flow rate through block will effect rate of heat transfer.

Yes its obvious that with no air in the block water has more contact area to transfer heat.

Thanks for listening
Old 08-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Registered

I comprehend perfectly; there wasn't anything to listen to.

Roby
Old 08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Roby,
I don't buy into that theory either. Perhaps if a radiator is employed and the water is not STAYING in the radiator long enough to cool down then a water cooled engine could have problems with flow rate. The greater the heat differential between the block and cooling water the greater the amount of heat removed will be. Some situations may not hold true such as the radiator scenario or cavitation in a circulation pump where a large amount of air or vacuum bubbles are present in the block. These old sayings are based on hearsay and not science.

Where is our Toilet PHD when we need him?

Tim T.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Registered

Well if properly set up (large enough radiator capacity) that won't be an issue and it should never be an issue with a boat. This restricting the flow giving water enough time to absorb heat theroy was invented by a bunch of guys running Chevette radiators in 400 SBC and some big blocks just to save weight. (and between you and me I think Mcollinstn is one of those guys snicker, snicker )
Roby
Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say you replaced the t-stat several times. Did you use the merc. gasket with the brass tabs on it? If you used an automotive gasket your housing is not properly grounded to the motor.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formulaz583
No offense to you either, but the results of my 502 with and without water restrictors. No restrictor, 105*, 1" restrictor, 115*, 3/4" restrictor 125*. This is constant temp, no changes at WOT or idle, no air in system. So, I'd say that shows that slowing the water down increased the temp in my motor
Oh I know, maybe everyone thinks I'm backwards on this. The myth was that restricting the cooling sysem slowing down the flow improved the cooling capabilities. I have always said that it did not. Your test are right and are the same results that I get. Some think though that if the water flows too fast through the block it will overheat because the water won't have a chance to absorb the heat. That is simply not true. I'm sorry if I worded it wrong.

Roby