Notices

oil pres. issue, advise needed

Old 08-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: oil pres. issue, advise needed

Originally Posted by 502procharger
here is what i have -10 out of the motor into a -10 to -8 reducer because that is what goes in and comes out of my remote filter. -8 to a 10 fitting back out of the filter, -10 line to my oil thermostat, -10 to my cooler, -10- out of my cooler back to my thermostat, then -10 back to the motor. i needed a oil thermostat because i would only get my oil to about 150 because my cooler is so large but i wanted a large cooler for when i run hard. with the eddie marine thermostat my oil bypasses the cooler until it reaches 215 the maintains that temp no matter how hard i run. the oil pressure never dropped like it does not and has gotten worse with time. i figure if the oil lines were being restricted by the 2 -8 reducers into and out of the remote filter it would have always been low and not progressivly gotten worse right? like i said the motor needs to come out anyways for the ring gear replacement so i will pull the pan, prob replace the pump anyways and check all the bearing clearance. what should the main and rod bearing clearances be? thanks.

I would think the oil filter adaptor would have 1/2 pipe thread ,if so run the # 12 hose . I did this on my boat and race cars.On the Chevelle the headers raped so close to the stock oil filter I ran the #12 lines and put the oil filter adaptor on the raditor suport and the oil pressure did not drop and it ran cooler because of the extra line and the filter away fron the block.

I allways use the Earls swivel seal fittings .They are more money but the ease on use and they dont neck down like on the 90's

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i took the motor out today and found a slight kink in the motor out to filter line way low near the motor it was not visible with the motor in the boat that might have been the issue. maybe as it got hot it kinked more????? i am re-placing it and re-routing that line. here is my question though. i figure if it was restricted it would have highr oil pressure. i though oil preassure was a result of oil only being able to excape the small bearing gaps and such, so a restricted line should increase back preassure right???
Old 08-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 502procharger
ok, i took the motor out today and found a slight kink in the motor out to filter line way low near the motor it was not visible with the motor in the boat that might have been the issue. maybe as it got hot it kinked more????? i am re-placing it and re-routing that line. here is my question though. i figure if it was restricted it would have highr oil pressure. i though oil preassure was a result of oil only being able to excape the small bearing gaps and such, so a restricted line should increase back preassure right???
It all depends on where the sending unit is located..... my sending unit was located on the filter pad just upstream from the filter.... so... all the oil would back up into the system and go out the bypass back in the pump... lots of pressure against the filter with no oil going through the bypass that was built into the filter because the oil was going into the filter the wrong way... so the oil pressure was holding the bypass closed instead of pushing it open.... I was running the big Fram HP6's which have a built in oil bypass.... oil is too thick to all pass through the filter... despite the oil filter being call a "full flow" ... under high rpm and high oil flow conditions... the paper can NOT filter all the oil all the time... so most of the oil flows through the bypass under those conditions and does NOT starve the bearings. Oiling system problems can't be diagonosed in a forum without seeing how the system is plumbed... both internally and externally... Sorry... I know this news doesn't help much... But even the idiot mechanic that plumbed my starboard engine was at a loss to explain why it blew up... despite the bearings were all melted out and anyone that had even worked on a lawn mower engine could tell there was an oiling system problem... After I paid this dildo mechanic to repair the starboard engine the second time... the bearings went out again... that is when I took both the engines out and discovered for myself what he had done....
Old 08-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Hey Reed the pictures kinda looks like Bob teague
Say... Strip... now that you mention it.... it does look like him.... Coincidence?.......