Notices

cam choice?

Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cam choice?

RMBUILDER, I have heard of the GM "taxi-cab" lifters that are hard to get. Do you have any advice on them?

On another note, my machinest has had 3 engines go bad due to a bad batch of comp cams. Anyone hear about?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the late 60’s an early 70’s we ran the Trans-Am series. At that time many of the team mechanics would work on both the Can-Am and Indy cars as well as the Trans-Am. Because the T/A cars were production based platforms rather than “pure” racecars they were often referred to as “taxi cabs”. I know that doesn’t answer the question but it did jog my memory. Thanks.
As to any particular company having a run of bad cams, I have not heard of that. I know that with flat tappet applications in particular many of the current failures are lifter related rather than core problems. As critical as break-in, spring pressures, and lifters are in flat applications the cam companies often take the rap for failures that are unrelated to their product.
Bob
Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Dyno,
Then you have good heads. Those would be my choice for a "500" incher or less.
Cam failures are rampent these days in the flat tappet arena. Due to the loss of some lifter MFG, the problem was real bad 2 years ago. It has gotten better but with EPA laws, overseas production, and poor QC, you have to be very careful before you put a flat tappet in. I would highly recommend a run in stand before putting an engine in a boat to "1st time fire it".

Chris

Old 09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris we always run on the floor before install...break in the cam and change the oil. The next mills will go on the dyno just for peace of mind...I'm thinking 496 ci, would you use the Crane 741 in it???Whos lifters would you use? I've been told to use Luinati springs and I'll have no issues....
Old 09-02-2004, 02:16 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Dyno,
Due to polical correctness, e-mail me and I'll give you my opinion:
[email protected]
We mfg so many items for this company and that I can't really post I would use this cam mfg over this cam mfg. Hope you understand.

Chris

Old 09-02-2004, 02:19 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Dyno,
Due to political correctness, please e-mail me [email protected]
We do so much work for other companies I don't wish to publish my oppinion as to not offend anyone.

Chris