Gear change in Bravo?? >

Gear change in Bravo??

Notices

Gear change in Bravo??

Old 09-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gear change in Bravo??

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to change the Gears in my Bravo drives (2) from 1.36 to 1.50????
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM
krypto 1 in CT

Default Re: Gear change in Bravo??

i think i was quoted around $1500 to switch from 1.50 to 1.36 i think they were going to change the lower gears it was a while ago and i stuck with the larger prop and 1.5 due to just about everyone saying thats the faster setup until you run out of prop.not sure if thats a good price sounded kinda high to me.maybe one of the outdrive guys on here can chime in with a price.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

was that for one drive or two??
Old 09-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

Ttt
Old 09-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an "X" Drive $1200-1500 is about right for one drive if you have bravo 1's it seems high unless it's for 2 drives.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Regular old, plain jane Bravo 1's!!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funhome,
The gears are about $400 and to replace all the bearings in the lower, shims and a new crush sleeve, prop seals,figure another $200, labor for setup is $200, maybe some more for unless there are complications. Thats putting the XR lower gears in your standard bravo. That totals around $800 out of my shop. Then you have some shop supplies, you know rags, mineral spirits and a couple of beers. I insist on changing the bearings if it is time for new gears, no sense making it half new.
Hope that helps.

Dick

PS.. there is only one bearing different in the XZ/XR drives in the lower. So the price is about the same.

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 09-13-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Funhome,
The gears are about $400 and to replace all the bearings in the lower, shims and a new crush sleeve, prop seals,figure another $200, labor for setup is $200, maybe some more for unless there are complications. Thats putting the XR lower gears in your standard bravo. That totals around $800 out of my shop. Then you have some shop supplies, you know rags, mineral spirits and a couple of beers. I insist on changing the bearings if it is time for new gears, no sense making it half new.
Hope that helps.

Dick

PS.. there is only one bearing different in the XZ/XR drives in the lower. So the price is about the same.
Dick,heres a question for you,i have rebuilt my own outdrives and a few for other people (bravo 1's and xr's),i don't claim to be a expert but i am under the impression (at least from what i remember) that the xr's with the 1 1/4 propshaft lower have a bigger splined hole in the forward gear. If you were to put in xr lower gears in a bravo1 wouldn't you also have to put in the bigger propshaft and bigger prop carrier? Or were there xr's with shafts the same size as bravo's,i'm not trying to dispute you,i'm just trying to expand my knowledge as ive only been in a 1/2 dozen drives,Smitty
Old 09-14-2004, 03:59 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

artic,
You are correct!! The hole is larger where the step sets against it. With proper bearing preload it doesnt seem to be an issue. I was told that the XR lowers are better than the standard ones. I dont know if that is the case, just going by what I was told. So I put a set in my drive, with the smaller shaft and I have not seen any ill effects.

Dick

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 09-14-2004 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Dick,
I was hoping that you would see this!! We met at the Ozarks Shoot-Out a couple of years ago, my buddy's were the one's that were asking about turbo's on boats!! (By the way, they bought my old boat and are planning to update the power soon)

How much is shipping to MI.??? I guess I could make a weekend out of it but that's still a long drive!!!

Quick Reply: Gear change in Bravo??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.