Drive Vibration? >

Drive Vibration?

Notices

Drive Vibration?

Old 09-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Vibration?

My boat developed a vibration problem. It is most noticeable when I'm below 1,500 RPM and when I turn the drive all the way to the left or to the right. I also notice it is worse when the drive is tucked all the way in and it gets a bit better when I trim out to neutral.

At higher RPM's the vibration is still there, but not as noticeable. It is not severe, but I can certainly tell something is wrong.

Any ideas on what to check? It's a Bravo 1 drive. I'm thinking a U-joint problem, or an alignment issue.

Any tips on what to do and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: Drive Vibration?

U-Joints or gimbal.I had A bad rumble at full steer and no problem at staight line full throttle,and when I pulled the leg the u-joint was totaled.I meen half of the yoke was gone.It had only been 30 hours since the leg had been off and they felt good.I think I will change them every other year as regular maintenance now.I do get max speed by trimming out a lot and I can here the drive rumble a bit,but it is worse at ful tilt in at lower speeds.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Doller Offshore

as above,u-joint or gimbal bearing

Old 09-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered

Is this a pretty straight forward fix? Such that I can do it myself without any special tools?

I assume once I pull the drive off it would be pretty obvious as to which one is the problem?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

If you can change a ujoint on your own car you can sure change them on your boat,it will be obvious what is bad when you pull it apart. I had a bravo with std bravo ujoints that had a vibration 4 years ago,i pulled drive off and ujoints were still good but there was lateral slop in the joints,the ears had spread apart a little from running boat under full boost in max trim,you could move joints laterally between the ears about 20-30 thousandths,i replaced the ujoints and you could still move them around so i pulled the joints back out(again) and used the ujoint press (one shaped like a giant clamp with acme threads) to tighten ears up. If you have the same problem you will be able to tell because you can press the caps in to where it seems tight and the clips will have a little gap between the ears,they should go in fairly tight,Smitty
Old 09-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Team Reyco
Is this a pretty straight forward fix? Such that I can do it myself without any special tools?

I assume once I pull the drive off it would be pretty obvious as to which one is the problem?
If you pull the drive you can tell,
unless you plan to do a lot of work yourself you're
better off taking it to the shop.If its the u-joint you will need a spaner wrench and torque wrench,if its the G-bearing you will need a puller and driver
Old 09-15-2004, 05:58 AM
krypto 1 in CT

if you havnt done it check the tourqe on the prop nut.i thought i had a bad u joint because of about the same vibration and it ended up being the prop nut was not torqed and that was it.around 55lbs does it i think